Polk Audio RM6500
Description: Home Theater

Submitted by John a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: August 18, 2001

Bottom Line:
wow i was very impressed with theses little guys for the price ya cant beat them.
my system

1.cerwin vega vs-15(for 2 channel stero)
2.polk rm 6200 5 channel (movies)
3.panasonic dvd
4.sony cd pioneer cd
5.yamaha eq
6.yamaha rx-v800 reciever
7.ksw-12 sub (both)klipsch
my buddy and i where sitting around listening to music on the cerwins and i went to the bathroom he turned up the treble a tad and turned on the 2 front polks and shut off the vegas and i didnt notice a diffrence then 1 day he came over i cranked it up on the polks and asked him what speakers where playing lmao we couldent tell they are good for both with a sub of course i got a klipsch

Purchased At:   future shop

Submitted by Dave a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 13, 2001

Bottom Line:
*** This is a review for the Polk RM6200 system ***
I purchased this system after reading the reviews here and at etown.com and was most disappointed. It was just OK for movies and terrible for reproducing music. The satellites and center have absolutely no treble and stop will sort of the mid-bass range leaving a very audible whole around 100 – 180 Hz. When used in ProLogic mode, which emphasis the center channel, the sound was hollow because of the poor mid-bass performance. Male voices sounded weak. My wife even asked me what was wrong with the television. Also, much of the sound track is missing due to the complete lack of treble and the exaggerated midrange. The stereo imaging is also very poor. Placement tends to drift with frequency and volume and the soundstage created is narrow, never developing outside the speaker placement. The subwoofer is somewhat redeeming in its ability to reproduce frequencies down to about 35 Hz or so. For around the same price range I would consider the Paradigm Cinema HT system, which I now own. The difference is just incredible. I actually brought the Polk system with me to the showroom and played them side-by-side. Within 30 seconds I knew that the Polk’s were heading back. For slightly more money, the Definitive Technology ProCinema 80 system will put you square in the middle of the action. And if you close your eyes, you would picture a pair of tower speakers playing. Both of these systems play a little bright at higher volumes, but at normal volumes, they sound wonderful for both stereo music and home theater surround sound. Other good systems include the Energy Take 5 and Atlantic Technology T70, which is THX certified and has dipole tweeters on the surrounds as required for THX.

Purchased At:   Circuit City

Submitted by Daryl Davis a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: October 10, 2000

Bottom Line:
I bought the 5 speaker RM6200 set and the RM350 Sub. I believe this is same as the RM6500, but the sub is the next size up. It initially had the missing midrange sound mentioned in other reviews, so I called Polk customer support. They recommended a high current amp. I had a Sony that delivered 70 Watts into 8 ohm (90 into 4 ohm). I bought the Onkyo TX-DS575X. It delivers 70 Watts into 8 ohms (150 into 4 ohms and 200 into 3 ohms). I listen to CD's most of the time, this amp has a 5 channel stereo mode, it's fantastic with these speakers, and the Matrix in Surround Sound Mode - WOW! The midrange is so there now that I turn up the bass and treble sound depending on the music I'm listening to. In the stores near me, all the receivers used in the demo rooms for sound systems use high current receivers, Harmon Kardon, Onyko, Yamaha, etc. The music just sounds better regardless of the speakers.

Purchased At:   Circuit City

Submitted by Thomas Cole a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: September 19, 2000

Bottom Line:
I wanted a small speaker for my Apt. that would make the living room turn into a home theater. For the price these did very nicly! I get the thunder in the base and the crash comes in clear. Music is a joy on these speakers also. In this price range, No speaker is better. Also I was supprised at the weight of the sattlites, they are heavy and add to the accoustics of the speakers, no cheap plastik box here.

Purchased At:   Unbeatable.com

Submitted by ANDREW a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: June 9, 2000

Bottom Line:
OVERALL, THESE SPEAKERS ARE GREAT. THEY DELIVER IN THE AREA I PURCHASED THEM FOR: HOME THEATRE. THE FIRST MOVIE I WATCHED USING THESE SPEAKERS WAS THE MATRIX. WOW!! THE SOUND THAT COMES OUT OF THOSE LITTLE SPEAKERS IS AMAZING. THE SUBWOOFER DOES AN EXCELLENT JOB OF REPRODUCING LOW END SOUND WITHOUT DISTORTING.

FOR MUSIC, HOWEVER, THEY ARE NOT TOO IMPRESSIVE. I DON'T CONSIDER MYSELF AN AUDIO ENTHUSIAST, AND EVEN I WAS A LITTLE DISAPPOINTED WITH HOW THEY SOUND WHEN PLAYING CD'S.
THE MIDRANGE SEEMED TO BE PRACTICALLY NON EXISTANT.

IF YOU DON'T ALREADY HAVE A GOOD PAIR OF SPEAKERS FOR YOUR MUSIC LISTENING PLEASURE, YOU MAY WANT TO PASS ON THESE SPEAKERS. HOWEVER, IF HT IS YOUR MAIN PRIORITY, THEN RUN DONT WALK TO GET THIS SET-UP.

BY THE WAY, I THINK THESE ARE DISCONTINUED, SO YOU CAN GET A GREAT DEAL IF THEY ARE STILL AROUND.
I PICKED MINE UP SIX WEEKS AGO AT CIRCUIT CITY FOR $500.
THEY MATCHED A CLEARANCE SALE PRICE FROM THE GOOD GUYS (WHO HAD NONE IN STOCK). THEY ORIGINALLY RETAILED FOR 1,000-1,100, SO GRAB THEM IF YOU CAN.