JBL SCS115
Description: JBL SCS 115 Home Theatre Speaker System

Submitted by Chuck Heiser a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: November 21, 2000

Bottom Line:
When I first heard JBLs surrounds it was in the showroom and I was comparing them to the single sat. Bose. Execellent sounding for the money. I bought the four stands for the front and rear sats., now at ear level, I couldn't ask anymore. Matrix was unbelieveable and now I'm waiting for Gladiator to come in so I can sit back and be enchanted. My floorstanding speakers in the den are Klipsch SP-1s and the JBLs give them all the competitions they need. These speakers are probably discontinued now, but it you can find them, you'll probably get a great deal on them and you will have a real steal on a sleeper set.

Purchased At:   Lackland AFB BX

Submitted by andy a an Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: July 19, 1999

Bottom Line:
I also just got a great deal on the scs115 $299.00. They are great sounding, but I am concerned about being able to up grade to AC3 as there is no line level input on the sub. Does any one have a work around for this? For now its not an issue as I only have pro-logic sys. 4 stars because of input prob.

Submitted by Mike a an Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: July 16, 1999

Bottom Line:
I first saw the JBL SCS 115 in my local audio store in the "specials" section.I called up JBL because I was frustrated hearing the standard "it's great. Buy it!" from the salespeople.

JBL, it seems, doesn't want to know who you are.

I was seriously ticked when JBL sent me back to the same local people I got the old hard sale from! They didn't have any information readily available to customers. JBL did want to send me literature, but I was ready to buy now. Not in two weeks. Needless to say, I nearly dropped buying the system due to the left hand not knowing what the right hand was doing at JBL. I'm glad I re-thought it through. The speakers were crisp and clear and fully conveyed a broad spectrum of sound when I heard it on the showroom floor. So, what the heck. I bought it.

Upon further examination, it sounded excellent and with my upgrade from a generic surround system to Dolby Digital a-la my Teac AG-D9100 receiver. What was a flaw with the teac receiver turned into a kind of blessing. The Teac has only a preamp subwoofer out. The JBL system was made that the two front speakers plug from the receiver to the subwoofer, then going out to the front speakers, picking up the bass to the subwoofer and the highs to the front speakers.

The instructions were lame, as was the product support and variety of accessories, but I'm not going to hold that over these really nice speakers. All in all, I highly recommend the system. The 100-watt powered subwoofer packs a whallop combined with the 80-watt front and center and the 70-watt rears. The price was nice too.