Athena Technologies Point 5 Mk II
Description: <ul> <li>5-piece surround-sound speaker system</li> <li>1-inch Teteron-dome tweeters</li> <li>4-inch injection-molded composite woofers</li> <li>5-way binding post terminals</li> </ul>

Submitted by ronnbot a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 15, 2014

Bottom Line:
Been using a pair as rears in a full Athena setup and gave the rest to my Dad. We're both very happy with them. They really go well with my AS-F1.2 (fronts), WS-60 (centre) as they all have the same tweeter. Obviously not much bass and rolls off below 100Hz but it's pretty good above that with nicely detailed mids and highs. I didn't hesitate to buy them when I saw these 5 speakers, 2 stands and a AS-P6000 for $100! That said, it is worth it's MSRP. I have a Tannoy HTS-101 5.1 set that I paid $300 (after 50% off sale), and it isn't as good as these Athena but I wanted a smaller system for a bedroom setup.

Product model year:   2007

Submitted by larrimore a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 6, 2005

Bottom Line:
I am a slf-avowed connoseur of reasonably proced speakers. These little speakers are simply the best in their size ad price range out there- period. I actually use them more for music than home theater and a stereo set with a good sub do a wonderful job. Don't mess with the Athena sub they recommend for these, intead, buy a good sub and these will sound as good as some $1000 speaers out there. The secret is Athena's development department.
The issue is that many expensive speakers like are reviewed in Stereophile come woth issues that have to be tamed by expensive equipment ($10,000 CD players anyone?). These were made to sound good with even crappy $300 receivers. I gladly use them with a $2500 receiver and they sound as good or better than my $2K speakers....

Purchased At:   Best Buy