Koss Reference 100 Stereophones
Description: Pro Headphones w/ Phase II technology

Submitted by Waverly Goodship a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 5, 2000

Bottom Line:
I obtained a pair of Koss R100s reduced from $70 to $30 and I must say that they are an excellent pair of headphones for $20. Koss has had the forsight to provide a regular cord along with the "Phase II" cord, so that after you have played with the latter for fun for ten minutes you can throw it in a draw and forget about it.

Submitted by David a an Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: August 18, 1999

Bottom Line:
I too purchased my pair of Koss R100's at Circuit City. But I believe they were on sale for $39.99 when I got them. The overall sound is good, but they do lack on the very deep, pounding bass, which is one of the types of music I like. The highs are crisp and detailed, despite their Frequency response.
A friend has a pair of Pioneer SEM350 headphones. They sound much better than my Koss's, and have much better bass response. These also accept 1000mW input power, compared to the 100mW of the Koss's. I'm assuming the SEM250's are comparable, because the specs are very close. My friend paid over $60 for them a few years ago, when he bought them. I searched the www, to see if they were still available. The only site that I could find (www.audio-direct.com) has the SEM350's for $36.95, and the SEM250's for $31.95, which is quite a discount, compared to when they were widely available.

-David-

Submitted by Lincoln a an Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 16, 1999

Bottom Line:
I got these at Circuit City for 49.99, but according to Koss' catalog they retail for ~90. They sound pretty good, but the sesitivity is too low, 85 db. The Phase II device that comes with it makes the music sound like it is inside your head and is great for listening to detailed audio. Almost the entire headset is covered with thick leatherette and is very comfortable. Another factor that convinced me to buy them is that they are so light for their size. Good bass response but they can't handle sub-woofer bass without distortion, but I don't think any headphones can. Connected to a reciever/vcr/tv with surround sound video playing, the effects of phase II are incredible. I think they are 16hz-23,000. Wanted higher range like 5-30,000 but that option seemed more then I wanted to spend.