Koss PRO466
Description: Earphones

Submitted by RAE2 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: August 1, 2002

Bottom Line:
On a continuum of Crap - OK - Good - Excellent - Incredible, I would put my Pro/466 at GOOD. I didn't pay much money and I haven't listened to many headphones in a critical manner. I like warm, full sound - country music with a definite bottom end, as well as Sinatra/Ella/Sarah style MOR, a little Dixieland, Soundtracks, and once in a while classics, celtic and everything else but progressive jazz & no-talent rockers. I've been satisfied with the sound in all cases because I adjust it to what I like with the graphic equalizers etc. I suppose audiophiles and other fanatics would have me run out of town if I ever suggested moving any control out of the "flat" position, but, c'mon guys, that's what CONTROLS are for... to tailor the sound to what you LIKE. Everything else is very much BS, in my opinion.

I think reviews must be taken with a grain of salt... what one person thinks is great, others call crap. I own Bose Acoustimass surround speakers. Reviews on them run from "garbage" to "absolute best." Same with headphones. So much depends on the quality of the SOURCE material - well produced and manufactured CDs will likely sound reasonably good on anything - just as cheap knock-offs CDs will sound lousy on everything, including $1,000 earphones.

So, given that reviews are very much comparing apples to oranges, I submit my KOSS PRO/466 headphones were certainly worth what I paid (on sale at Radio Shack). The only "con" is that the membrane-thin plastic covering on the foam earpads ripped and disappeared like a flaking sunburn.

Purchased At:   Radio Shack

Submitted by Murray Dundas a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 17, 2000

Bottom Line:
When my Sony's gave up the ghost, I picked up a pair of Koss Pro466's; big Mistake. First off, the brackets holding the earphones are of cheap plastic. The tab on my right earphone broke a few months after buying them, resulting in the right earphone falling off. Now I have to send them by mail for repair or replacement. Junk.

I noticed immediately, and to my great distain, that these headphones have a terribly muted high-end. Even jacking the trebel all the way up doesn't help. Vocals sound muffled, everything sounds in the background--and this on the same stereo system I used the Sony's with. The Sony's were bright and clear with tight bass. Bitter disappointment.

Whatever happened to the days of Koss Pro4AA and AAA's?

I purchased a pair of Sony MDRV600 headphones today. Immediately upon listening to them I knew they had the right stuff: balanced, bright, open sound with tight bass and extremely comfortable to wear.

Submitted by Scott James a an Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 29, 1999

Bottom Line:
I've had these earphones for a few years now, but I can't imagine anything sounding signifigantly better. Clear, deep bass, great midrange, and beautiful crisp highs. They do an excellent job of blocking out outside noise, with only rumbles getting through, and the occasional loud midrange noise. Again, anotherKoss product that I've had good luck with.