Etymotic Research ER-6 Earphones
Description: The ER-6 Isolator earphones provide outstanding sound quality and isolation in a lightweight, compact package.

Submitted by Al a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: September 19, 2011

Bottom Line:
If you are a Motorcyclist....you know how much ear plugs matter on any long distance run...These take the place of plugs (even better) and the quality of sound is equal to any high-end speaker system I have heard. Best 100 you can spend....after a Russell seat!!!!!!

Submitted by zigghorton a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 24, 2007

Bottom Line:
I did a lot of online research and actual testing of a number of ear buds for my Ipod. Basically, I wanted the best possible sound reproduction while also reducing the noise of airplane engines, trains, cars and other sounds. The other products I tested include the Ultimate Ear, Radio Shack noise reducing ear buds, Shure EC3 and, of course, the ear buds that came with the Ipod.

I finally settled on the Etymotic ER6i's due to their reasonable cost and excellent sound. Like other reviews of this product indicate, getting a good tight fit of the ear buds in one's ears is the key to getting the best noise reduction and full/clean bass response. In fact, since the silicone tips and foam cushions that came with the ear buds were not really snug in my ear canals, I went ahead and ordered the larger foam tips from the Etymotic web site (3 pairs for $20 including shipping), which by the way, arrived in only three days after I ordered them. At any rate, with the larger foam tips fitted, I must say, these are the finest fitting and sounding ear buds I have ever used. The clarity of the lows, mids and highs is excellent and would be pleasing to even the most demanding audiophile. Due to the snug fit, you can't even hear normal conversation very well at all and most load sounds such as jet engines are definitely tolerable to the point I find myself keeping the volume at a low to moderate level which is definitely better for my hearing. As I write this review I am listening to Steely Dan's Aja and it sounds like the band is playing live inside of my head.

So....if you want a great pair of ear buds for a reasonable cost and that boasts excellent sound and noise reduction abilities, I would definitely recommend giving these a try!

Submitted by LoneStarWings a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: July 23, 2006

Bottom Line:
I am reviewing the ER-6i black model.

I purchased these In Ear Monitors primarily for use during air travel. I listen mostly to rock and electronica, but also classical and general pop. I am somewhat of a "basshead" so the reports of thin bass were a concern before I purchased these, but luckily, I found that reputation to be totally unfounded (perhaps thin bass is more associated with the non-i ER-6 model, as the i model reportedly has enhanced bass response).

I was also concerned about the potential discomfort associated with inserting these monitors, however, I had no problem fitting them in my ears and obtaining a good seal. Etymotic should be commended for the array of different tips they include in the packaging. Personally, the default 3 flange rubber tips work great for me. I can insert them quickly and obtain complete isolation. Earlier this week I was on an airline flight on a very noisy regional airliner with a screaming baby in the row in front of me. As soon as I inserted the Etymotics and turned on my MP3 player, I heard none of it. I was amazed at how much noise they were blocking when I took them out to tell the flight attendant what I wanted to drink. They are very comfortable, I can easily wear them for 3-4 hours without experiencing discomfort.

The bass is not "thin" on the ER-6i at all. By the same token, it is not boomy. It is tight and extends low, yeilding a very natural sound, and at the same time you can almost "feel" the impact of the low notes. The midrange is articulate and detailed, you hear everything that has been recorded when listening with these monitors. The treble is crisp, clean, a bit relaxed and not too bright. The ER-6i sounds great straight out of any portable music device.

Overall, their sound yeilds a very neutral response which can easily be customzied to each individual's liking with an eq. Personally I think they sound great just the way they are. If you are looking for a moderately priced hi-fidelity headphone to use in noisy environments, these are the ticket.

From what I understand, they will give you 95% of the performance of the Etymotic ER4P, Shure E4C, and Ultimate Ears Super.fi 5pro for less than half the price. Highly reccomended.

Purchased At:   headphone.com

Submitted by petkunw a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 4, 2006

Bottom Line:
This is a review of the 6i's, which I bought for my iPOD. This was a great choice for 2 reasons: 1) they provide better sound than the ear buds that come free with the iPOD (in comparison, the Apple ear buds sound tinny, with no bass), and 2) they totally block out external noise. The latter was very important to me since I use my iPOD predominantly when commuting on a train or when traveling on a plane, two very noisy environments. Are they as good as my open air Sennheiser's? No, but I did not buy them to use with my home stereo. If you want great sounding ear buds that are better than what come with your MP3 player, especially for noisy environments, then these are for you. If you're looking for an audiophile set of headphones for use at home, then these will not do the trick (but again, that is not what I bought them for).

Purchased At:   Amazon.com

Submitted by rightslot a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 1, 2006

Bottom Line:
Just a quick update. Gotta give credit where credit is due.

Went to the iTunes preferences and turned up the SOUND ENHANCER.

Wow! Major difference. Night & Day. BASS! SOUL, FEEL.

So, in retrospect, if do indeed get other phones, it sure won’t be the rush it would have been. Sound better every minute.

Plenty of bass now.