Sennheiser RS 6 Wireless Heaphones

3.63/5 (8 Reviews)

900 mhz wireless headphones

Submitted by john a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: November 24, 2000

Bottom Line:
I resisted hurling my headphones across the room yesterday as I have resisted many times before.

On some days - or even in the midst of some sessions - these things lose their tuning. Then you must make micro-adjustments with a tiny thumbwheel on one of the earpieces in order to TUNE the headset to the base. It's a 1950's solution to a 1990's product. VERY FRUSTRATING. Sometimes, you can get it tuned and it sounds very nice - comparable to middle-end wired headphones. But when it drifts - or typically if you don't use it for a day or two - your ears are assaulted by loud static, feedback and other demonic howls.

I think this product was not well thought out.

Submitted by Roy a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: October 24, 2000

Bottom Line:
These wireless headphones with a 900 mhz transmitter are excellent if you want to listen to your good hi-fi system rather than a cheap portable when you're out on your deck or patio. The controls are difficult to use and the signal begins to break up at over 30 feet from the transmitter, but overall this is a far better option than any outdoor speakers I've seen. Of course, if you don't need a wireless, you can get better performance for the same price or less with the wired variety.

Submitted by Jim Morlock a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: May 2, 2000

Bottom Line:
I debated whether to buy the Sennheiser RS 6-9 wireless headphones because I felt the reviews on this site were very mixed. I was tempted to buy the Sennheiser HD 580's which had fabulous reviews, but the idea of wireless phones really appealed to me. So based on favorable reviews at www.etown.com and http://headroom.headphone.com, I decided to buy the RS-6's via the internet without having examined them in a retail store.

I have used these phones for about a week and I am generally satisfied with them. They are not perfect, but the good sound quality, the freedom from wires and the comfort of the headset make these phones a convenient, comfortable and overall satisfying product to use.

The radio transmitter unit is well designed and it comes with two convenient slots to store and re-charge one or two extra batteries. An extra battery costs about $20 and is an essential item as a batttery only lasts for about 3 hours playing time. Re-charging time is about 3 times the playing time.

The transmitter comes with all connectors and cables necessary for hook up to a receiver's front headphone jack, or to a receiver's RCA audio output connector in the rear. Mini plug is also provided for hook up to smaller device such as PC sound card or to a portable CD player. I have mine hooked up to a spare rear audio output connector of my receiver and it transmits a signal whenever the receiver is in use. The transmitter turns on automatically whenever an audio signal is detected and off after the signal has stoped for a while. The battery charger is always working, even when the unit is not transmitting, as long as the unit is plugged in.

To use the phones, simply slide the battery out of the transmitter's charging slot and slip it into a similar slot located in the right earpiece. A dial located in the right earpiece is then used to turn the phones on or off and to adjust the volume levels. A similar dial located on the left ear piece is used to "tune" the headphones to the transmiter's radio frequency. I find both dials to be relatively small, and a bit difficult for my large hands to feel and use. This is one of my two complaints about the phones.

The headphones are light in weight and are very comfortable for indoor use while sitting quietly in a chair. However, I don't like the loose feeling of the headphones when walking around my house, in or out of doors. The headphones sit rather loosely on top of my ears and feel like they are going to fall off my rather large head if I bend over or walk around.

Other than the lose fitting headset and the small control dials, I like these phones very much. The sound quality is quite good and the convenience of not having to deal with wires (especially the set up, put away, and storage) make these phones very convenient to use.

Submitted by Sean a an Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: August 14, 1999

Bottom Line:
I bought these few months ago at Good Guys for $200. The first wireless headphones I purchased were the RS-4's, and they were defective, sound only came out of one ear. So I returned them, and they didn't have any more of that model. I didn't want anything else because the next model cost $279. But the guy working there said he would give me a deal and sell them for $199, and I couldn't resist. I wish I had. I can't even go 20 feet without getting nasty feedback. Of course some is expected, since they run on radio freqency, but I had purchased these because I thought that they would be better than the cheaper brands, like Recoton. Well, they aren't worth the extra. I purchased a pair of Recoton's for $35 and they are just as good if not better. I was always having to adjust all the knobs on my stereo and turning down the volume, because the Sennheisers couldn't handle any bass. But I'll give them a 3, because I'm a nice guy.

Submitted by steve a an Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: August 9, 1999

Bottom Line:
I have owned a pair of Sennheiser RS-6 radio frequency headphones for 8 months now. I use them intermittently when I have the energy after a day of work, playing with my kid and whatnot to still want to listen to tunes -- while not disturbing the sleeping kid nor the mrs. I wanted a pair of headphones that could take me into other rooms so I could have my "space" (and give my wife her's). After some research into wireless headphones, I made the very worthwhile and prudent discovery of Headroom (www.headroom.com). Here, I did lot's of Q&A with the kind (and patient!) folks at Headroom, and I subsequently purchased the middle of the pack of Sennheiser's NON-infra-red wireless. I got them for $200; they now they go for $170. Almost as an asidde, it should be known that upon delivery and installation, the pair I received did not work at all -- dead signal -- so I promptly called Headroom, and after some trouble-shooting, it was determined that they were probably a "bad set." No problema. They were most accommodating, and indicated I could return them and they sent me a new set ASAP, even before they received my bad set. [Hey, anything can break, even "quality stuff." The concern is usually about how frequently a given model or brand breaks. I think these have a good track record.]
Anyways, I enjoy my headphones mucho, when I use them. The set-up is quite easy (plug AC adaptor in, connect headphone jack to amp socket), and the tuning is also easy. I do run into some "interference" when someone in my apartment or even a nearby apt is using a cordless telephone, but I have not tried switching channels on the base of the headphones (they are 3 RF channels to choose from on the base of the unit), so that might solve the problem. If this problem persists, and changing the channel does not solve it, then I might have to end my RS-6 relationship. Soundwise, I think the headphones have detail and warmth, more detail than I expected even, which is perfect for my musical preferences, rock, trip-hop, alternative. However, during silence (e.g. in-between songs), one can hear a "hiss," and this would probably be a major bummer for lovers of classical or jazz where the hiss might be audible during songs. So, as rock headphones, these babies work really nice. Other reviewers claim that they go quite far distance-wise, and the company claims up to 100 meters, but for me and my two-bedroom apt, I need to just go to another room. I highly recommend purchasing a spare battery ($20), which can be charged anytime, so in the event you are using the phones for a movie or extended tunes, you don't get too bummed when the gas runs out. As far as wireless headphones go, I am pleased with the purpose for which I bought them and very pleased with the quality. However, be aware that discriminating listeners consistently claim that less expensive wired headphones sound better. Half of what you are paying for here is the wireless technology. If I wanted to be in one place all of the time while using the cans, I would have purchased wired headphones. And I'll keep track of that phone interference thing, too.

PANAMAX: