Sony MDRE827G Sports Headphones

2.33/5 (3 Reviews) MSRP : $69.98

These Sony Sports water-resistant headphones are designed for active lifestyles, standing up to rain, snow, and occasional splashing, with yellow sports styling. The Fontopia in-ear design fits snugly, yet comfortably within the ear, eliminating the headband so you can enjoy music while exercising, skating, or dancing. The Sony Acoustic Twin Turbo circuitry uses sound chamber and ducts for improved efficiency, and gets high sonic output from your portable stereo. Thinner housing and a slim duct work together for a snugger, more comfortable fit.

Submitted by Randy L. a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: August 22, 2000

Bottom Line:
I am posting this to refute (correct) a 2-star rating I had given on 6/25/00.
I had read one previous post that this model had all highs--no bass. But that is because his ears may be either oversensitive to highs or undersensitive to bass! Anyway, I bought these at full price from Best Buy because I needed something that sounded better than the muddy-sounding vertical earbuds that came with my first Sony Sports Walkman (the WM-FS499). At first I was disappointed: No bass, shrill highs. But after a one-day break-in period, they sound as good as any earbuds--sometimes better than even my expensive MDR-E888LP buds. (I heard on one website that the high-end Sony earbuds have stronger low-bass than mid-bass, thus the "bass" has that hollow feeling; there is more mid-treble than high-treble, thus music can sound a bit "harsh".) These have a clean, balanced sound that can be a bit bright (but that will disappear if you put on the supplied foam earpads--you’ll gain some much-needed extra bass with them on). But because low bass notes are still a little weak, I’ll have to give the MDR-E827G’s a rating of:

Value: 5 stars

Performance: 4 stars

P.S.: Neither Best Buy nor Circuit City currently carry the MDR-E827G’s, but United Audio Centers and the Sony "Showcase" Store both do.

Purchased At:   Best Buy

Submitted by Randy L. a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: June 25, 2000

Bottom Line:
In a word: These buds are mediocre performers for a mediocre price. I guess that they would suit only those people who only want a pair of yellow-coloured earbuds without a headband--but everyone else, you can do better.

Value: 3 stars

Performance: 2 stars

Submitted by Mike a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 3, 2000

Bottom Line:
The earbuds that came with my discman D-E446CK were pretty good. They had really heavy bass and didn't distort even with groove on, but they got wrecked because I let my stupid friend use them, and I thought i'd try the MDR-E827LP because they were similar and should have been better since they were 24.95 Canadian. I was majorly disappointed. I can't even use these. If you press in one them you get almost as good sounds as the supplied discman headphones sounded but I can't walk around like that. They are all highs, and hurt your ears. No bass.
I also have the MDR-WO8L which I can't complain about for the price, they are in the ear with a headband type, and they have a little bit of bass but they got blown up (a little buzz in the sound on most music) from my friends playing them too loud. After reading the review on the MDR-A34L which is similar looking I think I might buy them.
My Koss Porta Pros sound great except they look stupid so I don't like walking around with them on. I want something that doesn't make me look like more stupid than I already do.

High End: