Audio-Technica ATH-AD500 Over-Ear Headphones

Designed for incredibly comfortable listening. With a lightweight honeycomb aluminum casing and magnesium frame structure, these open-air headphones produce no sense of pressure on the ears, offering a completely natural listening experience. The self-adjusting wing support automatically adjusts to your head size. A straight cord at the left earpiece terminates to a mini plug with included ¼ adapter.

Submitted by Nathan Lin a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 16, 2010

Bottom Line:
I was looking for a pair for casual listening. (Since I have ADAM as my working monitor speaker and also Sennheiser HD280pro) But for the price I spent (about USD $100) I find this pair gives out a very natural sound comparing to my HD280.

Here are music genres I've listened: Classical, Jazz, Movie OST, POP, Hip-pop, R&B, Country, Rock, Metal, Electronic... I think this covers almost everything. And sometimes use for gaming, very good on first-person shooting games :-)

Over all, I think this AD500 has the traits of a monitoring headphone. It reproduces the sound as if you are listening to the original sound source with the right volume. It sounds natural, flat, no special coloring, precise, and still with decent bass to feel the punch! And the open back structure and the light weight also make this pair very comfortable when wearing and listening.
Recently, I use AD500 on a mixing and audio edition session, and I got a pretty good result out of it!

It's the headphone for indoor use, for all purpose music listening, and with a very reasonable price.

High End: