AKG Acoustics K 44 Over-Ear Headphones

The K 44 features low weight, unequaled wearing comfort, and excellent sound with a powerful low end for pure listening pleasure. Other unique features include an AKG self-adjusting headband and user-friendly single cable. ""Power Performance"" stands for two large 40-mm speakers that deliver a powerful sound with punchy bass and a crystal-clear high end.

Submitted by Enrico a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: July 4, 2003

Bottom Line:
For 25 € I bought these cans for my home computer, just to practice and listen my Cubase recordings of my bass, guitar and synths via my Behringer mixer. They are very comfortable to wear, fit firmly and tightly against my head. Maybe that's one reason for the surprisingly full and pleasant bass these cans can give. Highs are moderate but nicely even over the spectrum (This can be a big plus when using headphones over a long perioid of time). My only complain is in the low-mid region, something like 300-700 Hz (the area where for example most of female vocals are). There seems to be a big accent in those frequencies. It sounds like holding coffee cups against your ears and making 1 cm gap at the front of your ears. Those frequencies get somehow "stuck or overloaded", they just entirely loose their "space" Maybe that's due the closed structure of the phones. That is the easiest way to improve headphone*s bass responce but can lead to other problems. Believe me, I know something about these subjects, in my job I use cans costing 20 times more, my studio monitors have a price tag about 10.000 €.

Submitted by marvDungbeetle a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: December 11, 2002

Bottom Line:
I have had these headphones for about a year now and have used them heavily for my home recording projects. While mastering songs I might spend 4-5 hours with the K-44s on and I have never experienced any discomfort. The sound they produce is bright and accurate and they filter out outside noise very well. The only problem that I have had with these headphones is that if you plug them into a high-output source, like a powerful receiver or a powerful sound card, they can distort in the low range. However, for a pair of headphones in the $25 range, they are an excellent buy.

Purchased At:   musiciansfriend.com

Submitted by Richard Crane a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: November 15, 2001

Bottom Line:
These are an extremely comfortable pair of cans, I've worn mine for many hours at a time and still been comfortable. They go low, and have no difficulty pelting out the bass frequencies where my speakers sound either feeble or give up on. However, turn them up and they struggle to maintain the bass clarity.

As far as midband and treble frequencies go, they're nothing remarkable but do the job perfectly adequately. I have no qualms with this set of headphones, considering I paid GBP 18 (= $26), and I've seen them advertised between $39.99 and $79.99 online. So on that front alone they score very well as a set of budget headphones, friends have been suprised at the quality of sound from a pair of headphones but then again they've lived sheltered lives!

Purchased At:   Practical Hi-Fi