Yamaha RH5MA On-Ear Headphones

4.75/5 (12 Reviews) MSRP : $45.00

Stereo Monitor Headphone, the choice for studio monitoring comfort with urethane leather earpads One year limited warranty

Submitted by Edward Rosenthal a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: October 11, 2014

Bottom Line:
The RH-5Ma headphones offers a very pleasant listening experience. They are as comfortable, lightweight, sturdy, durable and stylish as they are easy on the ears. They produce a surprisingly well balanced, detailed, full, rich, satisfying sound. Yamaha amplifiers feature a trademarked audio profile called Natural Sound meant to provide a listening experience free from annoying distractions. By prefiltering out certain high-end ear-fatiguing frequencies and attentuating overpronounced low end anomilies the Natural Sound amp produces a rather pleasant, if slightly muted aural spectrum. If you enjoy your music to have exceptionally pronounced, blaring high end then these amps aren't for you. Death metal heads need not apply. Likewise, the RH-5Ma do not pump out the crystaline, shimmering ultra high end frequencies of crash cymbols because over time time, even a short time, those shrill sounds can degrade your listening enjoyment. But if you prefer your music to have clearly articulated midrange, solid but not thundering bass, and clear and present highs then theses are for you. They certainly won't satisfy mega bass addicts who have destroyed their capacity for more refined listening. I can listen with them at relatively high volume for hours with minimal if any discomfort.

The synthetic leather ear pad covering is extremely thin and mine tore open rather quickly, so I removed it all revealing a very nice soft cottony fabric covering the foam donuts. The plus side of this defect is that without the plastic covering they don't feel as hot as before and no longer make my ears sweaty. They might not seal outside noise as well but the sound quality is unaffected, perhaps even a bit more open, airy, and natural. The fabric is perfectly intact after more than a decade of use.

Some have claimed these headphones are capable of reference quality sound but that's overstating the case. They're fairly accurate and relatively free of distracting coloration, but to my ears they do have a subtle but noticeable tendency to buzz at certain upper midrange frequencies for an instant here and there. I tried my friend's pair of RH-5Ma's to compare and his also had the miniscule buzz. It's only noticeable at very specific moments when vocals or other sustained sounds pass through the dreaded frequency while rising or descending the scale. It's barely worth mentioning because it certainly hasn't kept me from using these trusty headphones for the past 13 years. They're just too pleasant and agreeable a pair to fault them for such a minor glitch, especially considering the budget price. For under $50 they're remarkably musical and versatile.

Submitted by Craig_C a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: September 10, 2008

Bottom Line:
I bought this unit based on the reviews here, and I am somewhat disappointed. These headphones slant too much towards the Bass end of the audio spectrum. There is too much emphasis on bass and not enough on highs--say above 1KHz. Plus I have a rather big head, and the headband feels tight around my head.
In the "under $100 category the Grado 60 and Sony MDR-D66 are far better headphones.

It also take s alot of power to drive these headphones. They sure aren't made for ipods or using with your computer unamplified.

Purchased At:   Amazon.com

Submitted by anthony crawford a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: September 22, 2007

Bottom Line:
ive owned the best headphones.
from senns to sony.to akg of all i still own the akg headphones.
but of all of then i really like yamaha rh-5mas.my sonys i paid 100$
dont/wouldint live up to these.like like these a lot!

Purchased At:   guitar center

Submitted by martesque a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: November 14, 2006

Bottom Line:
As an on-air radio personality, I've been using headphones professionally for thirty years. I had used all kinds until I found a decent pair I liked. When they went down, I asked our station engineer if he could recomend a pair. Not only was he responsible for the sound of the station, he was a recording engineer and artist. He told me the Yamaha RH-5M's were the most accurate he had ever used and they would probably become the last pair I would ever want. He was right.

When my first pair wore out after years of daily use (I take them on and off during every record), I went looking for a replacement. This was prior to widespread Internet and I was panicked. My local stores didn't sell them and they were the ONLY headphones I could use. Finally, I found them and bought 3 pairs.

Fifteen years later, they're still the only headphones I will use. Occasionally, I'll slip on the Sony's in the studio (MDR-7506) and it's no contest.

One of my collegues borrowed them and said they were too accurate. They accentuated all the flaws of FM processed music. Maybe so, but as someone blessed with above average hearing, I need the accuracy to what I'm listening.

Purchased At:   B & H New York

Submitted by fenster5 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 3, 2005

Bottom Line:
A very accurate and crisp headphone for the price. But instead of reiterating what has already been said by others, let me stress that this pair is ultra comfortable and light. Hate to sound cliche, but I often forget that I have them on. The primary difference between the RH5MA and the other (albeit cheaper) phones that I've owned is that they hold onto my head AND softly cup the ears. Generally it has been one or the other for me. The super-flexible headband is probably a factor as well. Sound is important, but comfort equally so and the RH5MA has provided countless hours of listening without ear fatigue.