Yamaha RH5MA On-Ear Headphones

4.82/5 (11 Reviews) MSRP : $45.00

Stereo Monitor Headphone, the choice for studio monitoring comfort with urethane leather earpads One year limited warranty

Submitted by Craig_C a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: September 10, 2008

Bottom Line:
I bought this unit based on the reviews here, and I am somewhat disappointed. These headphones slant too much towards the Bass end of the audio spectrum. There is too much emphasis on bass and not enough on highs--say above 1KHz. Plus I have a rather big head, and the headband feels tight around my head.
In the "under $100 category the Grado 60 and Sony MDR-D66 are far better headphones.

It also take s alot of power to drive these headphones. They sure aren't made for ipods or using with your computer unamplified.

Purchased At:   Amazon.com

Submitted by anthony crawford a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: September 22, 2007

Bottom Line:
ive owned the best headphones.
from senns to sony.to akg of all i still own the akg headphones.
but of all of then i really like yamaha rh-5mas.my sonys i paid 100$
dont/wouldint live up to these.like like these a lot!

Purchased At:   guitar center

Submitted by martesque a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: November 14, 2006

Bottom Line:
As an on-air radio personality, I've been using headphones professionally for thirty years. I had used all kinds until I found a decent pair I liked. When they went down, I asked our station engineer if he could recomend a pair. Not only was he responsible for the sound of the station, he was a recording engineer and artist. He told me the Yamaha RH-5M's were the most accurate he had ever used and they would probably become the last pair I would ever want. He was right.

When my first pair wore out after years of daily use (I take them on and off during every record), I went looking for a replacement. This was prior to widespread Internet and I was panicked. My local stores didn't sell them and they were the ONLY headphones I could use. Finally, I found them and bought 3 pairs.

Fifteen years later, they're still the only headphones I will use. Occasionally, I'll slip on the Sony's in the studio (MDR-7506) and it's no contest.

One of my collegues borrowed them and said they were too accurate. They accentuated all the flaws of FM processed music. Maybe so, but as someone blessed with above average hearing, I need the accuracy to what I'm listening.

Purchased At:   B & H New York

Submitted by fenster5 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 3, 2005

Bottom Line:
A very accurate and crisp headphone for the price. But instead of reiterating what has already been said by others, let me stress that this pair is ultra comfortable and light. Hate to sound cliche, but I often forget that I have them on. The primary difference between the RH5MA and the other (albeit cheaper) phones that I've owned is that they hold onto my head AND softly cup the ears. Generally it has been one or the other for me. The super-flexible headband is probably a factor as well. Sound is important, but comfort equally so and the RH5MA has provided countless hours of listening without ear fatigue.

Submitted by sm a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: November 5, 2003

Bottom Line:
Amazing sound comes out of these things. Very clear throughout the spectrum, very clear and very spacious. I replaced Panasonic rp-ht355 ($30) closed headphones with these and I love them.

Purchased At:   zzsound.com