Home | Reviews | On-Ear | Sony

Sony MDR G63LP Street Style On-Ear Headphones

2.67/5 (3 Reviews) MSRP : $29.99

- Street Style headphones.
- exclusive Behind-the-Neck Headband.
- Non-Slip Design for Secure Fit On Ears.
- Two Pairs of Interchangeable Headphone Caps Supplied: ""Rage Red"" and ""Zest Yellow"" Colors Complement new PsycTM Portable audio products.
- Stable while playing sports, dancing and walking.
- Lightweight portable headphones.
- 30mm diameter driver units.
- Neodymium Magnet.

Submitted by Aaron a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 22, 2002

Bottom Line:
I bought these because I had a more traditional headset that finally wore out (no behind the head crap).

This set on paper matches those old headsets almost perfectly, but clearly these new Sony Style products are not made to meet spec.

They claim to have a freq response of 14 Hz - 24 kHz (the same as the sonys they were to replace), but I after the poor quality I initially got, I decided to do some quantitive testing with a tone generator. The begin falloff around 60-70 Hz, and severely drop in the 30-40 Hz range. Below that there is no discernable sound. Even when the volume gain is doubled and tripled, sound below 30 Hz is negliable.

Overall the sound is tinny and cheap sounding. I should not be surprised for the $25 I spent on them, but I had hoped that they would be closer to the set I spent $60 for about 5 years back. Sound also is clearly to give a metalic edge to all sound, which destroys anything that is smooth in anyway.

I will be returning these, hopefully some of the other models will be better, but I am loosing faith in Sony, so will likely purchase another brand.

Purchased At:   Circuit City

Submitted by Pelle a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: January 9, 2002

Bottom Line:
The best sound and best looks of all headphones i ever have
had on my head!!!

Purchased At:   Habo AudioVideo

Submitted by Randy Leong a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: November 10, 2001

Bottom Line:
I cannot recommend this product - or any of Sony's stylish headphones - at this time.

The Sony MDR-G63LP Street Style headphones are small and portable, but are disappointing in terms of sound quality. There is no low bass extension in these earclips - and somewhat harsh and raspy upper mids and lower treble with muffled high treble, to boot. And no behind-the-neck headphones are very comfortable to wear with eyeglasses - the clips holding the drivers to the ears interfere with the glasses.

In short, these headphones cost $30 - but are way overpriced for the sound quality that you get. I wouldn't pay more than about $15 for this CRAP.

Purchased At:   Best Buy