AKG Acoustics K 240 DF On-Ear Headphones

4.18/5 (11 Reviews)

The K 240 DF follows the criteria specified by the Institute of Radio Technology (IRT) in Munich for a ""diffuse field"" equalization curve that provides headphone listeners with the sound pattern, characteristic of a room with reflective, non-anechoic surfaces. Each K 240 DF is rigorously tested to assure strict adherence to the IRT standards for frequency response, channel separation and sensitivity.

Submitted by Sound engineer wanabee a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 2, 2016

Bottom Line:
I hunted this model because of these curious DF specification. I was lucky to get one second-head really cheap. I read about harsh mediums and shallow bass, and that striked me at the first time I tried the K240 DF. It was hard and I nearly said "well, no" to the seller, but I was ready to get used to it.
I finally found why this sounded particularly medium... It is designed for bigger head than mine!!! It is just dumb as it is, the cans aren't well positioned for me and spill too much sound away. I have to force the position of the cans to their maximum so they don't fall from my ears. When it's done, then no problem of bass or whatever. I can swim in the sound.
Yes it does sound different than my other headset. Better or not, I can't say. When I have to work outside, I bring a Sennheiser HD25. At my desk, I mix through monitors and sometimes check through the K240DF, or vice-versa. The night is the best moment for me to use the DF.

Submitted by AuralGasmic a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: January 25, 2011

Bottom Line:
AKG K 240DF: I bought them thirty years ago and it was not until yesterday that I actually heard them amplified to their full potential. What an astounding difference proper headphone amplification makes. The "MONITOR" section of my PEAVEY XR 600G powered mixer amp was designed by an engineer who knew what he was doing. I turned the gain all the way up and detected not the slightest hint of distortion. And yes, that volume level heard through just about any other headphones would sound absolutely horrible and would destroy most headphones in little time. Now I can hear the clear difference between all of the other headphones I've owned or listened to music through over the past thirty years. The K240DFs do exactly what they were designed and engineered to do-sound like pro recording studio reference monitors instead of headphones. -Bradley Hajost/Owner-SONIC Promotions & AuralGasmic Productions, SPI>SONIC Performance Instruments

Submitted by Sean a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: August 22, 2010

Bottom Line:
I've had these for, geez- could it be 20 years?! These are not to be confused with the 240M which is very similar except for having too mucn midrange.

I bought these slightly used, and except for the little metal caps falling off they still work perfect; no bad connection in the cord/plug, earpads are still intact and soft, headband and everything else still fine.

The sound is so balanced that I find fault with every other headphone I've listened to with the exception of my Stax. And sometimes I even perfer them to the Stax; they sound just a little more natural.

So my advice is you have to try them - if you're lucky enough to find a paid.

Submitted by zappertje a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: March 14, 2003

Bottom Line:
I bought the 240DF after listening to some other headphones. Long time ago. I use it frequently and it still serves, no broken cable. I was pleased by the disctiction that you can make between instruments, listening with this headphone. With others the sound is more fuzzy. A lack of bass is not true, it is just that other headphones have a coloured bass.
Now I use it when editing audio recordings from live-performances of choirs and small classic groups.
Also for restoration of audio (vinyl and tape to cd) this is the choice. You will hear every small scratch, noise and will be able to adjust your software to filter these.
If you want just sit back and listen to easylistening music, you can better buy a cheaper one. But if you want to listen in a technical-critical way to music, this one is THE choice!

Submitted by Dan the DJ a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: August 29, 2002

Bottom Line:
For clarity these Cans are great. The only problem is, make sure the Studio Console or Amp can "Push" them BEFORE you buy them. The Broadcast Console here at the Radio Station WILL NOT push them properly (good thing we're getting a new Board soon. On the otherhand, I'll take them home to my Studio, and pluging into my dedicated amp, they sound Great! With the exception of (as many have said) Serious lack of "Low-end". When you have a low "Announcer" voice, with voice-work to do, It's hard to judge the outcome of the bass in-voice until you "Playback".

Purchased At:   head room