Sennheiser PXC 250 Noise Canceling Headphones

4.17/5 (6 Reviews) MSRP : $299.00

• Store Promotions Shipping Price

The Sennheiser PXC 250 headphones represent the absolute pinnacle of portable audio design. Rich, punchy bass pours out of the “Duofol” diaphragms and with Kevlar reinforced OFC copper cabling, you don’t have to worry about severing the vital speaker wires from the earpieces. The PXC 250 headphones are built to fold and flip for quick and safe storage and with switchable NoiesGard noise compensation ambient noise is all but completely eliminated from your listening experience.

Submitted by SnapJag a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 22, 2010

Bottom Line:
I am a software developer and listen to music all day to keep the surrounding noises down and to concentrate better. Sound, comfort, portability were priority. Even with the On the Ear features, it doesn't just as well as Over the ear egg styles. And actually better than those because these don't push on my glasses against my head. but comfortable that they aren't a big pressure

I love these head phones, compact, light. Folding them is cumbersome, it's like trying to fold the small kids flexible soccer goals. The noise cancelling pod is rather large, can't help it because you have to put the batteries somewhere for as little as the buds are. So, it's fine. Durable. I manage them a lot in and out of my computer bag. The noise cancelling is great, but I don't use them a lot, the reduction of noise is good enough for me without them on. The batteries wore down quite fast. Maybe the unit can be smart enough to know that they aren't in use and shut off the power. Nicety. Well. If I HAD to use the noise cancellation, it certainly does a great job. Now for the price, they're great. Good sound, and comfort. Bose would be the best of sound and cancellation, but I'm didn't want to pay that much. After having these, I wouldn't pay that much either when these do jut fine for my situation.

Submitted by jfpilon a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: July 15, 2005

Bottom Line:
Great little product.

I must say that I'm a big fan on sennheiser: those are actually my 4th pair. I've got some wireless a very cheap vintage pair and a pretty good 490.

I just bought those, and it's the first time I had such a good feeling right after buying a pair of cans. No break-in needed at all. It's probably because of the very small and lightweight membrane used in them.

I bought those because I listen to more and more podcast on my daily commute (go TWiT!) and I was very tired too boost the volume to listen to some participants to have my ear-drum later on be blown away by other people who were sitting closer to the microphone or with better recording equipments. And on that front, they delivered amazingly: the noise cancelling is quite astounding! I work close to a big 2-cpu database server and even with no music; the sound of all its fans and hard-drive is substantially muffled out.

The sound quality is above anything that portable you can find, at least with the NC circuit turned on: I'm pretty sure there's a small amp built-in and without it they tend to sound dull and muddy.

The sound reproduction is quite on par with other sennheisers and is quite laid back and not bright at all. Which is good for mp3s, because the encoding tend to screw up anything high-pitched (cymbals and such). I would say they sound a bit British.

The comfort is about average, at least to me. Their closed circum-aural design means I don't sweat in them as much as with supra-aural cans. And they don't hurt like some in-ear model do after a while. I haven't tested them for more then 2 hours stretch and I don't really plan to (darn meetings).

The 2 only drawbacks would be the somewhat complex folding operation and the fact that they didn't ship with batteries: come on, my 20$ wireless mouse came with them, so why not a pair of 170$ cans?

All in all a very good purchase and I would recommend them to any iPod commuter out there. If noise cancellation is not on your list the Bose tri-port are pretty good to isolate you from your surrounding without the NC stick, but won't be as good in noisy subway stations or fast-food restaurants.

Purchased At:   dumoulin.ca

Submitted by Reidark a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: March 10, 2005

Bottom Line:
I bought these headphones at the international airport in Copenhagen to be able to use my iPod on a flight without having to increase the volume to compensate for the noise in the plane. I was quite impressed with the effect of the noise-cancelling. It did not get quiet, but much more quiet than normally. It made it much more relaxing to listen to my music on board. The sound quality alone does not defence using $130, you can get much better headphones without noise cancelling for the same price. For travelling on plane, bus or train it is worth its price, however! BTW: They raise the level a couple of dB when you turn them on, and also adds on quite a bit of bass and mid. This fakes a better noise cancelling than you actually got.

Purchased At:   Copenhagen airport

Submitted by cursic a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: November 14, 2004

Bottom Line:
This is my first noise-cancelling headset. While I do agree that it reduces ambient noises of certain frequencies (the jet-engine hum and hiss in the aircraft, primarily) it does this by adding a small amount of its own white noise which is definitely audible in quieter environments. Obviously,m this is the lesser of two evils, but during quiet musical passages, the intrinsic hiss form the headset is noticeable. Also, when the noice-cancelling circuitry is turned off, it's as if the plasit c housing and earcushions amplify ambient noises somewhat - like when you place paper cups around your ears and get that hollow ring to the noises around you.

All in al it's an effective headset to get rid of the aircraft noise on long trips, but I wonder if perhaps some foam-tipped earbuds might also be as good at isloating noise without adding internal hiss.

Purchased At:   LAX international te

Submitted by Keith a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: December 28, 2003

Bottom Line:
I have been waiting for these for a while & finally got them for Christmas (thanks Honey. I don't need tosay much except they sound excellent except for the volume level. I could use more sound/spl for my R&B and Hip Hip. DOn't get me wrong, I listen to all types of music but when you want to kick ass and listen too loud music, you'll need to turn the volume all the way up. Once my volume is pumped to 24-25 out of 25, the sound is great!
I also own Koss "the plug" model ($15-$18 usd which I believe are some of the best portable listening devices available and they are dirt cheap & have an unbeatable no questions asked warranty (I'm on my 4th pair in 3 years...I keep trashing them) which is a Godsend to me.

Buy these, they are worth the $.

Keith