Home | Reviews | In-Ear | Shure

Shure E3c In-Ear Earphones

3.67/5 (9 Reviews) MSRP : $179.00

Enjoy an audiophile listening experience when music matters. The E3c combines precision components and remarkable sound isolation to provide studio quality sound everywhere you go. High energy micro-speakers deliver great tonal balance across the entire frequency range. Flexible sleeves produce remarkable isolation, revealing the subtle details of original recordings. The small compact earphone design fits securely in your ear, making it ideal for active listening and frequent travel. The E3c's ear sleeves can even be custom-fit by a hearing specialist, after your purchase, for the best personalized fit and comfort. E3c Earphones
  • In-ear Earphones with Sound Isolating Design
  • High Energy Micro-Speakers with Extended Frequency Response
  • Studio-Quality Sound
  • Lightweight: Smallest Shure Design, Weighing only 0.9 oz (28g)
  • Fit Kit for Personalized, Comfortable In Ear Fit
  • Manufacturer''s Limited Warranty: Two years

• Review Options:  Sorted by Latest Review | Sort by Best Rating

Submitted by at80at a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: September 19, 2008

Bottom Line:
    I consider myself a bit of an audiophile and really appreciate a good sounding system or component (in this case headphones). I wanted them for my various .MP3 players (I tried them out on the new Creative ZEN, Apple iPOD, my Nokia XpressMusic 5310, laptop, and other devices). Frankly I was disappointed. While the sensitivity and clarity was high, the sound-stage was muddled and uneven and the bass very weak. I did not enjoy the music through these headphones. I would only consider them for video / TV viewing on my laptop as its strength is in its clarity / sensitivity so voice / mid-range is good.

Submitted by skibummsp a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: October 20, 2006

Bottom Line:
    Looking for something better than the Sony, over-the-ear headphones I was using with my 5th generation 30-gig iPod, I went and tried these out. One of my co-workers had a pair of the Shure E2c headphones that he brought into work and let me try out. Once I got them to fit properly, I really did like how they sounded. I thus decided I wanted to go a step up and get the E3c. The models beyond the E3c were getting beyond what I wanted to pay for a pair of headphones.

First and foremost, the fit on these things is extremely important. I was a bit skeptical as I could never seem to find a pair of decent in-ear headphones that I could get to fit properly, found uncomfortable, or would stay in my ear. It did take me a bit of experimentation until I could get the E3c's to fit properly (be sure to watch the little "how to fit/use" video on the www.shure.com website). I ended up using the medium sized grey "soft-flex" sleeves and seem to fit very comfortably and provided the best sound isolation and audio response for me. If you do not get a proper fit with these things, the bass will be very lacking and the highs will be "mushed" out. Thus, it is highly recommended to buy these things from a reputable dealer with a good return policy. For example, if you buy them directly from Shure, they have a 30-day money back gurantee. This is important for those that may not be able to get these to fit properly or find them uncomfortable for proper use.

Once I got these to fit properly, I was quite impressed with how good these sound with the music that I primarily listen to, which is symphonic power and progressive metal. For example, after listening to the Vox Tempus In the Eye of Time album (one of my reference albums, due to the extemely clean, very dynamic, and well-done recording quality), I found the vocals to be very clean and natural sounding, especially on the track "Love, Lies, and Treason". I can easily pick out each, individual instrument, with each instrument having its own space. The drums came out sounding very crisp and clean, with a good bit of punch. Even the kick-drums came out sounding good and punchy, but not boomy at all. I found the bass overall to be clean and accurate, but not boomy and "over-done" at all. This may put off those that want or expecting the big "boom-boom-boom" sound, but I personally find that to be annoying and unnatural, especially since I don't listen to rap, hip-hop or many of the other "bass-heavy" genres anyway.

Overall, if somebody is looking for a good, sleek, light-weight, in-ear "ear-bud" type headphone, these are definitly worth checking out, although a bit on the pricy side at $180 to $200 (depending on where you getting them).

Purchased At:   Best Buy

Submitted by Sammy a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: June 2, 2006

Bottom Line:
    Literally these arrived just this morning and I am listening as I type. They are awesome! I could not have believed music could sound so good.

For the purpose of this review, I will divide up my comments into strengths and weaknesses. In strengths I will look at ISOLATION, SOUND QUALITY, OVERALL QUALITY, COMFORT and ACCESSORIES.

For the weaknesses (if I find any!) will be outlined as best I can.

Please bear in mind that I am by no means an audiophile or muscian. I enjoy music and have more tracks on my iPod than moast people. The purpose of this review is to describe and explain my interpretation of these 'phones with non audio speak because I can not claim to actually know any such language. I am simply a consumer and I wanted to enjoy a better listening experience. Therefore this review is not by any means an expert analysis of the earphones but is my experience as an "average joe".

Purchased At:   Amazon.co.uk

Submitted by brownievegas a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: May 1, 2006

Bottom Line:
    Most people that would be interested in these buds are people who listen to portable audio devices. I use these headphones with an iPod. It's true they are quite a step-up from the buds you normally get with an mp3 player or disc player and they do make what you listen too sound good if not better. I have read what most reviewers have written about how thin the sound is from these Shures and at first I thought the same thing. I also hear comments about breaking the headphones in to finally hear good bass and I'm telling you it's not necessary if...

...you put the headphones in the correct way. This is described on the package and as weird as it sounds and looks, it works! The buds are supposed to be inverted and inserted into the ear canal with the cable looped over the ear. I was wearing these incorrectly at first, just placing them in my ear canal and the sound was horrible. Practically no bass and thin sounding! Made the freebie iPod Chiclets sound like heaven. I was shocked and was ready to return the Shures when I decided to give them another try. I noticed the suggested placement and tried it and BAM! the bass was good to go, the mids were right there and the highs were nice, not harsh @ all!

I listened to music all day with my Shures with one caveat...my ears started to hurt after prolonged use. Not my eardrums from the pounding but my inner ear where the bud was resting. That is the one thing I can legitimately complain about. You will notice the ache after using them for a long period. The bud not only rests in the ear canal but uses the inner ear to lodge in place. The isolation is great! You will hear stuff you never heard in your music before but you give up comfort after awhile when your ear starts to feel slightly sore from the bud being lodged in it. I do recommend this headset for all types of music if you want great sound isolation without the gimmick of noise cancellation. Great for the air traveler, not necessarily the best for the jogger or runner where they tend to fall out of the ear or the gym if you perspire alot around the ears.

All in all, very good sounding headphones. I'm glad I took the time to look at them further before taking them back. Good construction (cables not too thin or too long) and nice pouch with bud attachments made this a pretty decent purchase.

Purchased At:   Sam Goody's

Submitted by Yen a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: November 20, 2005

Bottom Line:
    I'm disappointed with the sound quality of these ear-phones for the money spent. The bass is very weak (no matter how I've tried to wear them). I've had them now a year and use them just because I spent the money but must say that I've only wasted my time tolerating the poor fidelity (thinking they would break-in). The upper treble seems to fall off very quickly too. I'm all about enjoying music, so even though these come with a nice case and multiple choices of ear plugs, I recommend saving your money for something else.

Something else to consider regarding this particular type of headphone, these form an air-tight seal in your ear and is difficult to get use to. You'll feel like you need to equalize the pressure on the eardrum. You'll also notice noisy distractions from yourself (like chewing gum) due to the non-open-air design. This sounds kinda stupid until you use them and realize how much of a distraction it can actually be.

Premier Mounts: