Sony MDR-CD570 Headphones

4.27/5 (11 Reviews)

Digital Reference Series Headphones

Submitted by djmunich a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: November 30, 2003

Bottom Line:
These are by far the best headphones that I have ever purchased - I guard them like they are worth their weight in gold, BECAUSE THEY ARE. I've owned these headphones for almost 10 years now, and they haven't shown ONE FLAW YET. BY FAR the best headphones Sony EVER MADE. The plug broke off because I sat on it, so I had it replaced, yet it still sounds awesome. Totally comfortable (even to sleep in), and I can wear them for hours on end (especially for 13+ hour flights between L.A. and Munich).

Purchased At:   Marktkauf (Munich, G

Submitted by David Peranteau a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: August 16, 2001

Bottom Line:
I like these cans a lot. With automatic adjusting and sinfully soft cloth earpads, they melt around your ears for unrivaled comfort in this price range. The sound is good, not stunning, but powerful with articulated highs and profound lows. Some slight power issues- due to a moderately high impedence (42 ohms, I think) I find that I can't crank them up on my portable (Nomad Jukebox) quite as much as I would like when I really want to deafen myself- but don't get me wrong- you can get a perfectly respectable volume from any audio device without an amp. The Grado SR60s sound better- sad, but true. However, they are not nearly as comfortable and lack the sony's deep bass punch that I prefer for my music. (My music consists primarily of classic rock- pink floyd, led zeppelin, dire straits, eric clapton and the like and techno/ trance- oakenfold, van dyk, sash!, sasha and digweed, dimitri from paris, bt, etc.) Also, since the Grados are far more rare, one usually must pay the 70 dollar retail price plus shipping- whereas these 100 dollar cans can be had for 60+ shipping at several online retailers.
I intend to use these for a few years and then upgrade to the Senn 580s or 600s with a HeadRoom amp. If you have that kind of dough go and get one of those. If not, I highly reccommend these.

Purchased At:   etronics.com

Submitted by Jeff a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: August 3, 2001

Bottom Line:
These are excellent cans for the price I paid and for what they are listed for. Treble and bass are represented well and can handle as much bass as you can pump into them. I use them in conjunction with my SB!Live Platnum 5.1. Excellent for games and especially for music. I've tried many cans within my price range (upwards to 150 bucks) and I find this set equals and supasses some of the other cans on display at the Tweeter I went to. At 80 bucks they are excellent cans, at 48, they are a steal.

Purchased At:   Tweeter

Submitted by George a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: June 22, 2001

Bottom Line:
This review applies to the MDR CD580 Model.
I am very picky about sound quality, so it took me several tries to find my way to the 580's. The first thing you will notice with this set of cans vs. other models is how comfortable they are on your head. The large cloth coverings on each ear feel wonderfully silky smooth (albeit a little warm!). One of the major complaints I have about headphones in general is fatigue, as shrill highs and pounding lows can leave me pulling off my headphones in a matter of minutes. This is where the 580's shine. Highs and lows are well defined, but do not cause your ears to ache. Simply put, these are wonderful headphones to live with on a daily basis. Unlike others (including a set of Senn's that was returned), these Sonys will relax you, allowing you to enjoy music as it should be. Sure, there are better headphones to be had (Grados come to mind), but overall the 580's are an excellent choice for sweet sound on a tight budget. Consider these a "best buy" in the under $100 category. Overall, an excellent headphone choice in this price range

Purchased At:   Good Guys

Submitted by Adam Shulman a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: August 27, 2000

Bottom Line:
These cans have it all, comfort, price, and most importantly, sound. I recently had the Grado SR-60's but returned them because of a lack of bass and the fact that they were open. The 570's are closed and have great, well defined bass. They can be easily powered by a portable (they work great with my MD). Don't listen to the people who say that these don't compare to the Grados; these headphones ARE MUCH BETTER. Better bass and no outside noise is heard. Two words for u guys GREAT CANS!

Purchased At:   Tweeter Etc.

Sennheiser: