Sennheiser Orpheus Headphones

4.25/5 (8 Reviews)

Electrostatic Headphone System

Submitted by pearson a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: February 15, 2011

Bottom Line:
these r not aight... theyre AWESOME i bought a pair last year.... look awsome and sound quality is awesome
MUST BUY

Submitted by Eurydice a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: September 12, 2010

Bottom Line:
I will make this short. If you listen mainly to classical, opera or acoustical music, Orpheus is the best heaphone ever by far.
I have owned Sennheiser HE60, Stax Omega 2, Stax 303. I have auditioned Stax Omega 1, Stax 404, Sony R10, Senn HD800. All these are significantly inferior to the Sennheiser Orpheus, it is not even close.
What the Orpheus does is a wonderfull, shimmering presentation of the music, giving you the ultimate in listening pleasure. The tone of this phone is as faithful to real instruments as can be.
The Sennheiser Orpheus is limited production of only 300 units. I don´t think something like this SOTA product ever will be produced again, so if you have the opportunity to get a set, don´t think twice.

Submitted by heh a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: January 18, 2010

Bottom Line:
Anyone who leaves these a poor or "aight" review, or say things like "they work fine", like two previous reviewers here, have never owned nor even tried them, or their ears are so untrained that they honestly can't tell the difference between a $30-$50 pair of Skullcandy and $600-$15,000 Sennheiser (if you can't tell the difference and call yourself an audiophile, you are a joke of a human being). Likely the reviewer himself is the son who owns the Skullcandy - some teen posers on the internet just like to talk about owning something really expensive and referring to it as "mediocre" so they can seem like they are the type of person who throws around $20,000 like chump change.

I had a chance to try these at a "financially comfortable" acquaintance's home. He let me do some side-by-side tests using a couple other Sennheiser models as well as other brands. The Sennheisers generally won hands down (for me, though he leaned towards some other makes - the human ear is subjective), and among them all these were by far the best. We're not talking about the placebo effect here either. For most people these will not be worth the money, at $15,000+ a pop they are for wealthy audiophiles only; my acquaintance even admitted to me that he wasn't sure about springing for them himself, as he believes there tends to be a point of diminishing returns when talking about the human ear and how our brain processes audio information. Working class joes like myself have to settle for the HD650's or HD800's, though it can hardly be called settling as those are both of supreme quality. However if you can afford the Orpheus, they will be the best thing you've ever put on your head. So for value compared to price, 3/5. For quality, an obvious 5/5.

Submitted by dem a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: June 29, 2009

Bottom Line:
These are definitely not worth the money, I figured for the price they should be great, so i picked up two of them. It turns out that they don't even sound better than my sons skullycandy hesh headphones. I ended up giving one of these to my 13 yr old and smashing the other in rage. Oh well, my son seems to think they sound almost as good as his bose quiet comfort 2.

Product model year:   2008

Submitted by Rick a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: June 22, 2003

Bottom Line:
I bought a pair about half a year a go and they work fine. If price doesn't bother you then fire away. The whole set is a bit big (oversized), but the sound quality is pretty 'aight so if you get the chance to get one of these toys go ahead.

Purchased At:   Outlet

Orpheus or Abbatoir?

So which disc from that great Nick Cave 2-CD set is your favorite now that it has sunk in for a year. Listening to The Lyre of Orpheus this morning and have to say that it's probably my favorite now, but that's kind of a switch for me since I've generally gone with Abbattoir Blues when I pulled it o ... Read More »

Wow! (Abattoir Blues/The Lyre of Orpheus)

I know I'm not the first to say it around here about this very classy new 2-disc set from Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds, but like my subject line says, wow! Beautiful cloth covered slip case that holds the 2 CDs, each in its own tastefully labeled heavy paper sleeve (thankfully they are also properly si ... Read More »

Sennheiser: