Sennheiser HD56 Headphones

4.67/5 (9 Reviews)

Walkman-style headphones

Submitted by David Barsell a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: July 20, 2007

Bottom Line:
I have owned a pair of these for quite some time now (well over a year). I looked high and low prior to buying the Sennheiser headphones trying to find a decent sounding pair for listening to MP3s while i work. I believe the Sennheiser HD56 to be the best value vs price headphones of the their type for the price. Incredible sound Bass, midrange, and treble all very clear and precise. They sound a great deal more expensive than what they are ! I simply love mine and am now looking to buy another set for my wife to use with her new MP3 player.

Purchased At:   Virgin Records

Submitted by David a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: July 20, 2007

Bottom Line:
I am listening to a pair of these headphones (Sennheiser 56) Connected to my MP3 Player at work as I write this. I too purchased my set to fill my need for light comfortable headphnes while working. I find them to be the absoloute best price vs performance of the headphones I've owned or tried out when looking for new headphones to purchase. I've been dissatisfied with all other brands in the price range and in my humble opinion these are a fantastic value the base, midrange, and treble are all awesome for their size and price. I would recommend these to anyone.

Purchased At:   Virgin Records

Submitted by Guill0tine a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 3, 2002

Bottom Line:
I looked a long time for comfortable headphones that could be suitable in an office environment. I first tried Sennheiser HD 433 and they were way too noisy for my office mates, even though the sound was great. I could not resolve to go with closed headphones (imagine that 8 hours a day).

Best compromise I could find were old pair of Sennheiser HD-50 I found in the Paris metro subway 10 years ago. Having gone through them, I decided to get their successor, the HD-56.

And boy, have I been pleased with this experience. Crisp mid-ranges, sharp trebles, and precise bass. These headphones are the most "neutral" you can find in the 30-50$ price range. They do not colour the sound like Kosses do, and they are way more precise than anything Sony have in this range.

One has to consider that these headphones have high impedance (100 ohms), so they need a bit more juice to provide loud music than say, 32 ohms for koss ur-20.

I have another pair of portable headphones to buy sometime soon for my cd-mp3 player, and after having heard Sony's mdr-v150 and 300 (ultra crap), koss td-61,65 and ur-20 (ok but too colorful), and some pathetic Jensen and Panasonic stuff, I think I am going to stick with another pair of HD-56!!!!

Purchased At:   Layton Audio

Submitted by Yves Constantinidis a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: July 26, 2001

Bottom Line:
Very comfortable, small, practical.
I use it with my Philips CD "walkman" player every day. Much more comfortable than the little earphones that come with the CD player.
The sound is somehow "metallic", but improves a lot when I press the earphones to my ears a little.

I bought them 24 euros in Paris.

YC

Purchased At:   FNAC Paris

Submitted by Greg a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: June 20, 2001

Bottom Line:
Like another reviewer here, I needed something for work that would be comfortable for hours, sound good, and be unobtrusive. Super-aural (around the ear) would have done too good a job at reducing outside noise, so I wanted supra-aural (on top of the ear).

While I periodically have to take them off (if nothing else for bathroom and coffee breaks), they're the most comfortable out of the 7 or 8 that I tried. Add to that a good overall sound and only $15 "refurb" at Sennheiser's site made them the cheapest of all the models I tried.

I gotta deduct 1/2 star for the cord and 1/2 star for the muted highs, but recommended and a terrific value (and they're NOT made in China).

System: PC with sound card