Sennheiser HD515 Headphones

4.67/5 (3 Reviews) MSRP : $110.00

• Highly optimized,field-strengthened neodymium ferrous
  • Magnet systems
  • Outstanding comfort for long listening sessions
  • Longevity through exchangeable components
  • Lightweight aluminium voice coils for high efficiency

Submitted by bindokam a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: June 5, 2008

Bottom Line:
These open back headphones have good sound quality for the price. The tone is a bit in the high range and accurate to even a fault: your compressed music may sound worse than you're used to. If you absolutely need clear-cut bass, however, you'll be better off with something else. But prety much everything else, they can do.

Purchased At:   CompUSA

Submitted by RichardEdwardss a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 21, 2008

Bottom Line:
Very pleased with these headphones.

I demoed the HD515, HD555 and HD595 in Audio Excellence, where I bought the rest of my kit. I was lucky enough to be able to demo them with my Amp/CD player combo. I was looking for headphones to plug directly into my Marantz PM7001/CD6002 Hi-Fi setup so I could listen late at night without affecting the neighbors. (Or the wife.)

I found the treble to be too "splashy" on the HD555 (maybe something to do with the surround reflector?) and the HD595, while slightly clearer, was not worth the price difference. (Would have been £80 more!) Although if I had a dedicated headphone amp the difference would have been much greater.

Overall the HD515s are a very good headphone. The detail level is about on par with my speakers, (Focal Chorus 705v) although the sound is a lot "warmer". There's a nice soundstage with decent detail separation and good dynamic range. The bass goes quite deep and is pretty rich and weighty, although not quite as fast and punchy as my speakers. They are also pretty sensitive so I have to do most of my listening with amp at only 1 notch.

I should add that I "burned" them in for about 100 hours.

Purchased At:   Audio Excellence

Submitted by alexhilman a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: July 1, 2006

Bottom Line:
Best pair of headphones that I have ever bought. I looked at the specs on the back of the box and was blown away. First off I didn't know Radio Shack had such a high-quality product. Secondly I was attracted to the magnet-type, frequency response but most of all: the sensitivity and impedance. Needless to say I immediately purchased this gem and have never found anything of greater quality for $130 dollars (the next model up is $550). I bought them in the winter of '05 and they have recently broken in.

Might I say that the audio quality went from superb (before they were broken in) to stunning and amazing; the difference a wine connoisseur finds when tasting wine from plastic compared to crystal (it's that awesome). These HD515's are also amazingly light (but durable in construction) and comfortable; I can wear them for hours without my head hurting.

I only ask that everyone at least demo a pair of these to compare their headphone's quality with these. Trust me you will be amazed and blown away.

Purchased At:   Radio Shack Canada