Sennheiser HD-457 Headphones

• Open-Air, dynamic, supraural hi-fi stereo headphones
  • Ideal both for home mini hi-fi systems and mobile audio
  • sources such as CD, MiniDisc and MP3 players
  • Very comfortable to wear due to ultra-lightweight design
  • Rugged outdoor design with extremely flexible headband
  • 3 m highly conductive OFC copper cable
  • Replaceable fabric-covered ear cushions
  • Manufacturer's 2 -year warranty
  • Clear sound and rich warm bass keeps the HD457 ideal for soul, funk, percussion and fusion
  • Ultra-lightweight diaphragm material and powerful
  • Includes convenient wind-up clip to store excess cable

Submitted by Shawn a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 1, 2012

Bottom Line:
Well here we are 9 years later and these headphones have withstood the test of time. I'm going to take them in for a tune up. Well worth it. Seems like everything they sell these days just goes to pieces in no time. Build it to break I guess. Anyway, these are some very nice headphones. It's been a pleasure to own them and I suspect that I will have them for years to come.
Peace

Submitted by michaeljsteeves a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: April 17, 2006

Bottom Line:
I've just replaced my Sony MDR-V300's with these Sennheiser HD-457's due to the earcup bracket on the Sony's breaking for a second time. I've put the Sony's through a lot of abuse in the last ~4years though, and they've served me well. Upon shopping for a new set of portable outdoor-use headphones I tried a number of models in the $60-$100 CAD price range and liked the 457's the best. When I had purchased the Sony's, they had just edged out the Sennheisers in that price range at the time. Being a huge Sennheiser fan I'm happy to hear the tables have turned again. The 457's sounded a slight bit nicer all around than the MDR-V300's. The powerful bass of the 457's is great for a portable set, but it's plainly too much for the audiophile. These are perfect for an iPod, not an expensive home stereo. Since I bought these strictly for portable use, and that's what they're marketed towards, I think these deserve a five star rating.

Purchased At:   Bay Bloor Radio

Submitted by Monitorman a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: October 2, 2004

Bottom Line:
These phones are the best I've ever owned. I've owned quite a few, from the old Koss Pro-4AA, Yamahas, etc..to the SONY MDR-V6. I got my SONY's for $85 retail. If I'd known better I'd have saved my money by going for the Sennheisers. The SONY's are pumped-up and have a gimmicky, "commercial" sound compared to the 457's. With the lower-spec 437 and the higher spec 477 and 497's you have your choice of choosing between price and slightly greater refinement(s) across this range of under-$100 cans. I chose the 457's because only the 437/57's are the open "circumarual" type - and because they were the only one's available at my local C_City. Not so long ago they used to have a kiosk type stand where lots of phones were hanging out on display for you to check out. Not any more...

Purchased At:   Circuit _tiy