Koss TD61 Home Stereophones Headphones

3.86/5 (7 Reviews)

Submitted by steamyToFu a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 7, 2005

Bottom Line:
My roommate in college brought a pair of these to our room. Admitingly, I was a little hesitant at trying them after listening through nothing but grado, senn, or stax for the last couple years; but they performed surprisingly well.

The comfort of these headphones is fairly nice, but they have a small tendency to feel a bit bulky. (but nothing compared stax or senns)Looks could also need be improved.

The enclosure does help eliminate outside sound, but at a price. The sound clarity is a bit lacking and the it often sounded like there was some echo.

Sound is great for the price he said to have bought these cans for (>20)... almost worthy of grado sr-60's, if not for the poor enclosure. Sound is well balanced, although a bit lacking on both bass and the high end; it sounds alot more natural than the typical pair of ridiculous bass heavy headphones.

Submitted by Mike704 a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: May 8, 2002

Bottom Line:
I bought my first headphones 30 years ago and have lots of experience with them since I used to work in radio. The Koss TD-61's are light to the point of being just a tad flimsy but if they hold up I will be very happy with my purchase. I bought them after I returned the Sennheiser HD490's which to be sounded awful and cost more than twice as much as the Koss. While there are better headphones out there the Koss TD-61's provide sound that's well balanced - not boomy, clean and not distorted even at loud levels. The cord is very thin so I hope it will withstand the occasional accidental tug. If the Y shape cord breaks forget about trying to repair it, very fine wire. I prefer a single cord instead of the Y style. Still a very good value.

Purchased At:   Circuit City

Submitted by pk3dnow a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 31, 2002

Bottom Line:
I purchased the closed headphones expecting traditional KOSS audio but was severly dissapointed by the lack of frequency response. Only capable of 25-15,000KHz (something I overlooked as I grabbed these speakers off the shelves in a rush). The only thing that these headphones even have going for them is the accuracy of the frequencies that it can reproduce correctly and the comfort. Sound at low-normal volume levels is quite precise but distortion is evident when the volume is turned up beyond reasonable limits. Good if you need a cheap set of replacement headphones that you don't mind trashing as soon as you find better ones. Who knows maybe the sound of these headphones hitting a trashcan will produce a greater frequency response

Purchased At:   Walmart

Submitted by Craig a

Date Reviewed: August 17, 2001

Bottom Line:
I bought these because my other headphones had broken and I saw these and decided to pick them up for my walkman they are great plus you get a set of mini phones all for 19.99!

Price Paid:    $1900.00

Submitted by Carl a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: June 15, 2001

Bottom Line:
I bought these for a portable FM radio I listen to on the bus to work. Reasonably neutral sound. Big bass, but not obtrusive to the music or radio voices. Most comfortable headphones I have used yet, perfect for the selected use (and not bad with my regular HiFi either). My Grado ($70) are a bit better but level of manufacture on the Grado not great and it suffers the twisted cord syndrom.

Purchased At:   Walmart