Koss KTX-PRO Stereo Headphones

4.27/5 (15 Reviews)

Submitted by Lenen98 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: November 6, 2003

Bottom Line:
I've been using these headphones for about 10 years now. They have the best sound you can possibly find for under $50. I recommend them to everyone, and they also end up loving them. Watch RadioShack, they have them for 50% several times a year and end up at $20.

Purchased At:   RadioShack

Submitted by jagee228 a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: June 27, 2003

Bottom Line:
I had been looking for a new set of headphones I could leave on my desk at work and not have to worry too much about having them disappear, so under $50.00, open air, and comfort were almost as important as the sound. I auditioned a set of Sennheiser HD-212s and found them to be a little too bass dominant, and started auditioning others. On a whim, I decided to try these decidedly less expensive Koss headphones and I was immediately pleasantly surprised. They are clear enough to catch subtle details other headphones miss. Also, they are fairly well balanced with what sounds to be a tolerable 1-2dB boost in the 50-200Hz spectrum and perhaps 1db of attenuation in the 500-2k range and mostly flat beyond that. I think this combination works well because they do not completely surround the ear and since they are an open-back design, and a bit of bass is lost from wave cancellation and the midrange gets a little bright on a lot of their competitors' models. They sound quite good on most music genres and they are easy for most portables' amps to drive since they are extremely efficient headphones. On the downside, my first pair biodegraded within the first week, but the new pair seems to be holding up ok so far - but they have a lifetime warranty, so I guess I don't care so much. Also, they can make your ears feel a little smashed after a while, but that may improve over time as the band loosens up a bit.

Purchased At:   Circuit City

Submitted by headphonejockey a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: June 20, 2003

Bottom Line:
an excellent sounding pair of headphones. My previous headphones(JVC) were the massively cushioned, closed-ear type, and getting back to open-ear listening was ezee-pezee with these Koss titanium-driver bad boys. The fit is pleasantly comfortable, snug, but not too tight. Then again, I don't have a fat head. I think they should fit most sized heads okay. I've used them for up to four hours straight with zero earlobe-pain. I listen to a wide variety of music, alt-rock to hip hop, and these Koss headphones handle every music I can throw at them.

I first attempted to buy these from Amazon.com, where the headphones are still listed as "usually ships in 24 hours". Well after a month, they send me an email to say that they were "unable to aqcuire the product". So they don't even really sell them there. I then went and bought a pair from Circuit City with no problems.

Purchased At:   Circuit City

Submitted by a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: November 19, 2002

Bottom Line:
I demoed the RadioShack Pro-35 headphones - which are identical to the Koss KTX-PRO headphones - several months ago, and I am sorry to say that I was disappointed with their sound quality. Even compared to my Koss KSC-35's and my Koss Porta Pros, the KTX-PRO's delivered way too much mid-bass that almost completely overpowered whatever midrange and treble that they delivered. (No, I didn't have any bass boost switched on at all on the portable player that I demoed the KTX-PRO's on.) And that's partly because of the overly tight and terribly uncomfortable fit that the KTX-PRO's delivered.

However, they are a big improvement over whatever came bundled for free with a portable player, which is why these are a decent choice for a first headphone upgrade. But you'll get tired of their sound rather quickly.

Submitted by jaylane a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: November 19, 2002

Bottom Line:
After purchasing a CD/MP3 player with low output, I decided to shop for a pair of on-- not in-- ear 'phones that were highly efficient. The reviews here were helpful and I've been very pleased with the KTX Pro's. I got a "PRO1" model which looks to be the same thing only silver in color (isn't everything these days).
The sound is well balanced, with ample bass and smooth top end; my listening is mostly classical, so the latter was critical (and left much to be desired in every other portable headphone I own; Senneheiser(s), Sony Fontopia). They are light, comfortable and a tremendous value. The customer service at koss.com was terrific, and they do have a lifetime guarantee. I don't think you can miss with these..

Purchased At:   koss.com