Emerson EHP1000 RF Wireless System Headphones

Submitted by veggirl a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: May 3, 2004

Bottom Line:
I just purchased the Emerson EHP1000 wireless earphones, and they are fantastic. I have had no problems.
When I first used the earphones, it already had batteries in it from the store (it was the display model), and the sales person said the batteries were probably still good. Well, I got a ton of interference, so put in new batteries, and that cleared up the problem.
Yes, the batteries are a little difficult to remove, but if you pull on the ribbon, and then use a small metal nail file (such as in a nail clippers), the batteries come out easily. I had no problem putting them back in. I don't mind the slight difficulty, because it keeps the size of these earphones probably as small as they can be.
Moving the transmitter away from the receiver helped get rid of the slight remaining static.
They are comfortable, and adjustable - I too got a headache from wearing them, but probably because they were too tight on my ears - the connecting piece between the two sides is very pliable, so I just loosened the grip a bit. And no more headaches.
I looked up batteries and EMFs, and they do not produce much of anything that is dangerous like cell phones. Cell phones, and anything plugged in, are AC electricity (Alternating Current), and that is what is dangerous. Batteries are DC electricity (Direct Current), and are not associated with the EMF danger - apparently batteries do not cause electrical currents in the human body. I don't know about you, but I feel better now.
I like it that both sides have a volume adjustment, because I hear a little better in one ear than in the other ear.
I was able to go in my house upstairs, and the sound was still perfect (my computer is on the main floor).
I am not using these to listen to my stereo - I am using them to listen to Air America Radio over the Internet, because we don't get it in my area yet (airamericaradio.com). Works great - you just plug the transmitter jack into the jack located on one of the speakers.
Gloria

Submitted by Moin a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 30, 2003

Bottom Line:
I listen to NPR round the clock when I am at home while relaxing or moving around doing odd jobs. And I try to do this without bothering my family. In this regard, a wireless headset fit my needs very well. The headset seems to do well within a range of 25 - 30 feet in a typical house

Purchased At:   Radio Shack

Submitted by Sean Franklin a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: January 5, 2003

Bottom Line:
I wanted a wireless headphone system that would support several sets of headphones with one transmitter. The Emerson EHP1000 900-MHz system fit the bill perfectly - inexpensive, extra headsets available (not at R.S. but through the Web), and uses standard Alkaline batteries so no need to fiddle with a charger. The transmitter shape was a bit awkward, I really wanted to put it in a small 3" high space above my receiver. I took four screws out of the bottom of the transmitter, and found a screw holding the "Antenna" in an upright position. After removing that screw, the antenna can be pivoted to horizontal - Perfect!

This system is installed in my RV, so that passengers can watch a movie while the driver (me) listens to the radio. Audio quality could probably be better, but for my purposes it's just fine. My teenage son says that they aren't "Loud" enough for his music, but they sound fine to me :-)

Purchased At:   Radio Shack

Submitted by David a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: November 10, 2002

Bottom Line:
The sound quality on these headphones are very crappy, when i plugged it in, there was this annoying/irritating whining sound and this occurred while plugged into my stereo and unplugged. I don't suggest buying these headphones ever.

Submitted by John Marshall a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: January 1, 2002

Bottom Line:
Great, useful concept, comfortable, simple to set up and use. Difficult-to-miserable to insert and remove batteries. Never got good chance to evaluate sound quality as the batteries overheated to point we feared the headphones would set our head on fire. Assuming this a defective unit - great value.

Purchased At:   Netmarket.com