Aiwa HP-X211 Closed Type Headphones

2.5/5 (2 Reviews)

Submitted by Peter Blaney a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 19, 2001

Bottom Line:
All I wanted was a pair of headphones to take to work, but I found more than that. I found a friend. It was fate. For you see, my bosses decided to switch computers on me, and the new one didn't have speakers. The odds of that alone are astronomical. I am truly lucky.
Anyway, on with my evaluation of these abominations of all things pure and holy. I won them at an online auction house, for $8 plus 5 for shipping and handling. So they were the right price. They are fairly comfortable. I can wear them up to an hour before the donuts start to pinch a little. The sound is solid and clear. It may have trouble with deep bass at high volumes, but I can't tell, as I don't have any of that kind of music to test them. It sounds like it would be fine for the average listener. But for what I paid for them, they are incredible. Those cheap-generic foam ones cost almost as much. Plus these have almost a 10-foot cord, which is nice at work, and do a good job of blocking out most external sound, which isn't necessarily so nice at work, like when you get runover by a backhoe because you couldn't hear the guy telling you to "Get the hell out of the way, you jerk!" But I like it.
The bulkiness is a minor inconvenience. They do fold, but they are somewhat cumbersome to carry around. It's doable, but I try not to. The rubber band across the head is comfortable, but the support band on top is not adjustable and oddly shaped. I believe it was originally designed for use on monkeys, possibly by vets for testing the hearing of those monkeys. Overall, they're pieces of *dung*, but it's really good quality *dung*.
In conclusion, I love these babies! Well, I guess love is a strong word, but like I said, you can't beat the price and get such good quality.

Purchased At:   Online auction house.

Submitted by Becky Krieman a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 4, 2000

Bottom Line:
I purchased 20 headphones for use with digital keyboards in my general music class. After four months, five headphones broke within one week. They have been breaking on an average of one a week since then. These headphones are defective and not suitable for school use. Furthermore, an AIWA customer representative insisted I would have to pay for the repairs since the three month warranty had expired. I am sending the headphones back to AIWA with the hope they will stand by their product and replace them with headphones that are not defective.

Sennheiser: