Sensory Science RaveMP MP-2100 Earbuds Earphones

3.14/5 (7 Reviews) MSRP : $35.95

One of the first MP3 players on the market, the rave: mp 2100 is still a contender with its hefty 64MB on board storage capacity - expandable to 96MB with a flash memory card available directly from Sensory Science in 16MB and 32 MB sizes. With its unique shape, Sennheiser earbuds, and voice recording and phonebook capabilities, the rave: mp 2100 is one of the most highly ranked units on the market as reviewed by dozens of major media. Its parallel port is noticeably peppier than other non-USB players', and you can even record directly from most electronic keyboards or other electronic instruments, features you won't find on any other MP3 player. It plays for 10 hours on a single AA battery (included). Software includes free tracks from emusic.com, playlist manager and CD ripper. Check it out! Another experience from Sensory Science.

Submitted by Robert Paxter a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 9, 2002

Bottom Line:
I've had my sensory science mp3 player for a little over a year now. It has 64mb of ram (which isnt a lot now since various portable jukeboxes have come out with 6GB or more of memory)with a slot for another 32mb flashmedia, a microphone with a line in jack for recording sound, and provides an adequate number of hours of playback with one AA battery. It also has an AC adapter jack although it doesnt come with one. The price I paid was hefty since I got it when it first came out. I would recommend it if I did this review a year ago, but with the newer, better, large capacity mp3 players available now, it would be better to leave this one alone.

Purchased At:   received as gift

Submitted by Bran Robs a

Date Reviewed: October 10, 2000

Bottom Line:
Love it. It was rated #1 by PC World, and ZDnet. The headphones could use some work but the in-line remote is great and convenient. Sensory Science really did great in upgrading the rave mp. The 2200 is compact, light, has great internal memory and the voice recording and fm stereo are excellent. I highly recommend this product and it is definately worth the price.

Used product for:   1 Month

Purchased At:   outpost.com

Submitted by Jeff a

Date Reviewed: August 13, 2000

Bottom Line:
Update to my update... the unit has completely stopped working. I just ordered a Rio for $169, and a second smartmedia card to give me 128mb of memory. The ravemp is going in the trash, I'm pissed that I wasted my money on this in an effort to save a few bucks.

I'm giving it 1 star simply because "none" is not an option.

Used product for:   6 Months

Submitted by Nick Hakala a

Date Reviewed: May 31, 2000

Bottom Line:
First of all, I'm very pleased with this product. I bought it mainly because the price was right ($160 on mercata.com). I'd seen some reviews on it and it seemed to be a decent dependable product.
I must agree with the low quality of the headphones though. They aren't really horrible, but if you use the eq settings they distort quite a bit. I figure with the addition of some quality headphones the sound would be a lot nicer.
The software is very user-friendly, and doesn't take long at all to learn. It is slow however, and I would really like some USB support. The parallel port just isn't fast enough and uses too much of the processor. I max the transfer out at 170 Kbps, and 140 Kbps if I'm running any large programs.
The microphone is useful, and I've used it in class before. It seems to be a bit too sensitive though, and if there is any background noise it gets picked up very easily.
I haven't used the phone number stuff, so I don't know how useful it is.

One important note: I did also experience the loud static problem with the original unit I had. I emailed mercata.com about it though, and they were very helpful. They just needed confirmation from the company that the problem was not a problem I caused. This was very easy to get, Sensory Science responded very quickly and noted the problem that I guess was a recurring defect with early units. Needless to say I got a new unit in less than a week and haven't had any problems with the new one.

Used product for:   3 Months

Submitted by Dominic Pang a

Date Reviewed: December 9, 1999

Bottom Line:
I have owned the Rio, which eventually broke. The main problem was the cheap plastic and the 32 Meg storage, which was inadequate. I buy these MP3 players mainly for running, and I am not too picky with listening to the same stuff all the time, as long as there is a good amount of songs loaded. Therefore, I lower the bit rate to 80k per second. Thrilled to have 64 meg, and I just ran out and bought this, which was the first 64 meg unit, expandable to 96.

Good storage capacity, file options (recording, phone numbers, computer file transfers).... I have not had any technical difficulties with the unit. Also, the shape makes it very good for carrying in your hands when you run. I am not a big fan of belt clips, as the plastic case seems to suggest that if the clip became loose, you are breaking or cracking you MP3 player. Overall, fairly satisfied with the unit.

Used product for:   1 Month