Yorkville YSM-1
Description: 70 watts program, 6 ohms nominal, 4 ohms minimal

Submitted by Richard R a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 7, 2016

Bottom Line:
Hey, don't write too many reviews, but just have to rave about these speaks. I'm a sound guy, don't care squat about specs, brand name or price when I turn the things on. Just got them.. Only have used them for audio, not recording. I wasn't expecting that much, maybe the usual flat, overly trebly sound found in inexpensive monitors. But, Wow!! I hooked them up to a Harmon Kardon (1990) HK440 Vxi and have been listening to the radio mainly, and they sound terrific. Nice detail, like you'd expect from monitors, but bass and 3 demensionality that I did not. BTW, I've got a lot of quality smallish speakers, Kef, Corellis Spica TC-50, Celestion 700s, Thiel SCS. . so I'm comparing them to pretty good stuff. The coolest thing, maybe, is that, for monitors they are very listenable, and don't seem fatiguing. I must say, though, I'm not really a recording guy, with studio experience, but these speakers do not sound flat to me, but I've got a pair of NS-10s, so why should I care. If you see these somewhere, get them or die!!

Submitted by Herman Depak a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: July 17, 2003

Bottom Line:
Quite a heavy speaker considering it's size. The thick MDF cabinet means it magnetically shielded. It houses the componets really well and eliminates internal resonance. This speaker is aimed at the pro audio market, particularly project/home studios. This means that it is supposed to be "flat" or a reference standard. There are 2 versions of this speaker, active and passive. Mine ar the passive. Bearing in mind that these are sub $500 speakers, the sound is very clear and detailed. I like bookshelf speakers because I hate the excessive bass resonance that most floor standing speaker represent. My music translates very well from these speakers and means that music mixed on these speakers will sound great on you typical hi-fi and bigger cabinet speakers.

Submitted by Arthur Vandel a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 25, 2003

Bottom Line:
These things are all about definition... It's incredible for the price. Highly recommended.

Purchased At:   Long $ McQuade

Submitted by Nik a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: November 6, 2002

Bottom Line:
I have a pair of Dynaudio HiFi speakers that I don't listen to anymore because of these speakers. I'm gonna go for a pair of high-end studio-monitors soon -no more "hifi-speakers" for me. I want them flat!

Purchased At:   Germany

Submitted by James Shannon a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: January 10, 2002

Bottom Line:
These monitors look good, sound good and can handle high output. They accurately reproduce sound sources and offer a great stereo image. They reproduce surprisingly low frequencies but to my ears these can be a little wooly and lacking definition. I also find that the top end is a little harsh but then I tend to like a warmer, richer, less toppy sound. They are particularly toppy at high levels. I can find them fatiguing compared to HIFI and not as flattering, but this to be expected since they are for studio monitoring where accurate (not sweetened) sound is desired.
Compared to the Yamahas, Absolute 2's and Tannoys these monitors are a real winner.
Fantastic value for money.

Purchased At:   Project Music