Wilson Audio WAMM
Description: Wilson's Flagship Loudspeaker, Frequency Response 16 Hz - 30 KHz (-3dB), 99 dB sensitivity

Submitted by Jeff W. a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: November 19, 2013

Bottom Line:
Mr. Wilson must be a real fool waiting for other fools to buy his overpriced....waaay overpriced speakers. This is what they are talking about when they discuss dollars vs. performance. There is no way these speakers perform like their cost. No way, no how.
Any honest person would and could tell you that. Of course if you are an editor or writer of an audio magazine your job and well being may depend on it. Barnum relied on suckers and I think Mr. Wilson does the same. Fancy advertising and fancy looking loudspeakers with specs no greater than a myriad of others really seems to sway those that know no better. A magnificent example of cost not equaling performance and why some people think audio nuts are just that.

Submitted by Fryman a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 16, 2009

Bottom Line:
I went to the Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas several years ago. Wilson Audio set up at an off-site location and myself and my associates were invited. Wilson Audio only showed the WAMM (WAMM stands for Wilson Audio Modular Monitor).

These are large, unusual-looking speakers not in a single cabinet, but each speaker is composed of 4 wood cabinets of various sizes connected by a central metal frame. They were in an acoustically engineered room, and were powered powered by a very large amplifier (I didn't bother to check it out) and a pre-amp, which I also regret investigating. The sound source was vinyl - played on a turntable, the turntable of which was a chiseled-to-perfect-balance, 6-inch-thick slab of granite (thus reducing wow and flutter to nil).

The sound was beyond anything I had hitherto and have since heard and enjoyed. I won't go into the imaging, depth, precision, sensitivity, etc. any further than that - it was amazing, beautiful, thrilling and real. I listened to several symphonic pieces (I do not remember the titles or the orchestras and conductors now, unfortunately), ELO, the human voice, and the demonstration ended with the electronic piece played by the UFO from the "Close Encounters of the Third Kind" soundtrack (this piece includes the familiar theme, and some very loud, low frequency blows from the ship, as you remember). By the time the demonstration finished we were, and I was, mesmerized.

If I had money to burn perhaps I would buy them (and the costly component support necessary to realize their potential) - but I don't. Actually I wouldn't anyway - there are too many people who need help to consume at that level on oneself. But it was a thrilling experience. Even the sophisticated set were impressed, and I think that for all of us, including this average salesman who sold the likes of Cerwin Vega, it was unforgettable.

Purchased At:   NA

Submitted by satchguy a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 18, 2005

Bottom Line:
Obviously the speakers are over priced just like anything is in this class of product.
No amount of materials, labor and cost for sound engineering could justify the price of these, however for the people that can afford them cost is not an issue so they will sell regardless. I have heard speakers in the $15,000 range and most any person on the planet being shown those speakers to these as a comparison could tell which sounded better. The high prestige factor is the only marketing strategy that could possibly sell these speakers, never on sound quality alone.
Even if I were Bill Gates I wouldn't waste the money on these.

Purchased At:   no where

Submitted by David Schwartz a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: January 12, 2004

Bottom Line:
Best speakers ever! Great treble, midrange, and bass extension. Ideal for classical, jazz, & rock music. Fit nicely into family room or den.

Purchased At:   The Swap Shop

Submitted by John Hearn a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: November 4, 2003

Bottom Line:
I feel very sorry for all the sad people who have felt the need to post ignorant replies on this post. I actually own a pair of these fantastic speakers and all that I can say is that it is clear that most of the people who have left replies on this forum are not bright enough to be able to pay for a pair of headphones let alone a pair of speakers like these. Let me suggest a basic coure of literacy exams and maybe, in 50 years time, you may be able to afford to listen to them. Wasters need not apply! For what it is worth, these are the best speakers on the market and I would say to all those who mock, your loss.....