Wharfedale SP-83
Description: The sapphire uses hi-tech polypropylene bass drivers, which prevent unwanted colouration and tonal smearing. Each bass/mid unit features an ultra-rigid, profiled phase plug to improve off-axis performance and prevent dust cap resonance. Cabinets are solidly constructed from MDF, with a black ash veneer and all speakers in the range are bi-wirable.

Submitted by 2x6spds a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 18, 2003

Bottom Line:
Grabbed a pair from uBid for a song. I figured they would be decent speakers because of their pedigree. Incorrect. They are really terrific! They compare favorably to the incredible Axiom M3Ti and Michaura M55. The Wharfedales are much better than the excellent Polk RT25s and blow away Infinity's RS3s. Bass is surprisingly strong for bookshelves, mids are sweet and acurate, and the highs are open, clear and very pleasant. I'm using the Wharfedales for my garage system - a beautiful vintage Pioneer SX850, a rebuilt Kenwood SW300 subwoofer (new partsexpress.com Dayton II 10" woofer) and an old JVC 6 disc CD player. The combination is magical. I wash the cars to the tunes.

Purchased At:   uBid.com

Submitted by Miguel Mirabal a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: September 18, 2000

Bottom Line:
I bought these speakers from UBid.com after reading reviews on this site and looking at the specs from the Wharfedale site in the UK.

I think the speakers are great. They sound very clear and play nicely. They are loud compared to similar products at that size.

I'm using them as my rears and I have them on top of three feet stands. Great buy.

Purchased At:   Ubid.com

Submitted by Rolando Espejo a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: July 17, 2000

Bottom Line:
The most wonderful speakers in the world (for the price). I am a product of the eighties music era. So I listen to a lot of Industrial type or Classic Rock tunes. I first encountered Wharfedale speakers in Southeast Asia. Thought they were excellent exotics. But was very impressed with the sound clarity and naturalness. I was surprised to see the brand again 15 years later at ubid.com. Decided to acquire a pair and returned newly purchased Klipsch to the Goodguys as soon as I got the Wharfedales in the mail. Oh man, this is the only brand I'm buying forever.