Wharfedale Modus Movies 5

Submitted by Corey Raymond a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: May 1, 2001

Bottom Line:
This is a great 5.1 system for the money. For the price how could I go wrong? The Subwoofer sucks and the center channel could certainly be improved. I ran some tests on the speakers and they did very well however. Overall I really like the system. I think this would be a great system for anyone starting out with HTS.

Purchased At:   ubid

Submitted by Kevin K a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 24, 2001

Bottom Line:
I purchased these to be utilized for the computer and setup with a Technics SA-AX6 receiver/5000 decoder. I was quite impressed at first for such a package, but found some pros and cons of my own.

Pros:
1. Good all in one package that doesn't take up too much space (except subwoofer).
2. Good sounding acoustics on audio material from being a matched set. I was amazed at the sound quality when the system was put in Pro-Logic mode playing CDs. The sounds would reverberate through each speaker as I assume as it was intended to be. I also noticed improvements over other sound field settings (theater, hall, club). I couldn't get the same response from my home theater system since it wasn't a match set.

Cons:
1. speaker clips: I use 14 gauge wire, but had to cut that in half and still had a hard time getting any of it into the clips. I ended up tapering the end and stuck as much in as possible. I'm going to have to resort to pin connectors or replacing the connectors as a whole. I think the largest bare wire you can install is 18 gauge. Subwoofer had no problems as the connectors were bigger. One other concern I had that I investigated since they ship such a small speaker wire, was the speaker wire internally of each speaker. It's safe to say they they don't use the same speaker wire inside the speakers. I believe it to be 18 gauge wire.

2. Sound quality: There is something seriously missing in the bass. I believe the subwoofer is cut off somewhere between 80 to 90 Hz as they recommended in their book. However, there is no bass response whatsoever in the satellites. I found this out as I set up the sub-bass unit as a subwoofer. The receiver I have has the capability of outputting bandpass frequency and volume to the sub. So I turned down the volume and raised the subwoofer and played with the bandpass filter. I didn't notice any difference as the filter will work between 50-200 Hz.
I then turned down the sub and turned up the volume for the speakers and played with the bass and treble controls. The treble control was quite noticeable, but there was no difference in tone with the adjustment of bass control.
Therefore, I believe the frequency range between 90 and 400 hz could be missing as I know the center channel has it's own crossover network (the one torn apart to investigate the wiring), but also wonder if the other's could have their own crossover networks.
The main speakers are suppose to be utilized with the sub-bass unit for "proper" crossover frequency response. However, there should be some recognizable bass in the satellites if they aren't connnected. This leads me to beleive there are individual crossovers in each speaker to cut out these bass signals.
Because of the lack of bass, the room doesn't have a "fullness" to it. You hear the midrange, highs, and feel/hear the subwoofer, but altogether, it doesn't fill the room like my HT system does. By cranking up the bass, the sub only makes things rattle more and eventually overpowers the satellites. By cranking up the speakers, you only suffer from ringing of the ears.

3. The sub-bass was bigger than I expected it to be. It isn't powered either, so if you utilize it as a subwoofer as I do, make sure your receiver has an amp output for a sub. If you don't, you can set it up with your front main speakers.

Summary: Fortunately I bought this set for only one purpose in mind: a mini system for a den to go with my computer for gaming, DVD watching, and audio listening. I would not recommend this for a HT system at all. However, if you don't like your music loud and not much of a bass (100-400 HZ) fan, these would be a good starter set. Somehow the system is able to blend the deep bass with the speakers and make something out of nothing, but don't crank it too loud or you could receive ear damage from the highs.

I replaced a couple of speakers with the 301s briefly. Even though I received those lows for the fullness, I missed out on the highs. I even replaced the center channel with the Polk that I had. The Polk had better response to bass also, but it didn't match the rest of the system in tone quality.

I guess with the system and for the price, you gain some and lose some. I gained better sound (surround?) effect for acoustics, but I lost (and missed) the fullness of the music representation.

Hopefully when I receive my Acoustic Research HC-2 speakers (to replace my existing HT system), I'll get the best of both worlds.

Purchased At:   UBid

Submitted by Eric a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 10, 2001

Bottom Line:
I didn't have any problem with the brackets but I do have a problem with setting the center channel speaker on top of my RCA 27" TV. But I'll be replacing the TV soon anyhow. The speakers sound great and are a good match for my Onkyo DR90 that I picked up from UBID.com at the same time. These are excellent speakers even if they cost four times as much.

Purchased At:   UBID.com

Submitted by Al a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: July 15, 2000

Bottom Line:
Looked for a cheaper alternative for my den and got these for $260 incl. shipping from Ubid. Although it's been said many times, the wire and the brackets suck. Don't even waste your time trying to figure out the brackets and use the wire for bailing hay. I hung these from the ceiling using Bose UB-15 brackets which I bolted to the top of the satellites (I used the bracket option with the two thumb screws and opened up the case to attached them safely)and then attached the cover plate to the bottom to give it a finished look. They work and look great. Wharfedale could really use the services of a mechanical engineer. The spring clips are flimsy and I had to tin 16 guage in order to get them in. Pushing them with an older Pioneer Pro Logic while I wait for a new SOny 845 to arrive. Sound is good and at least as good as the Bose. (Note that I built the den with DTS in mind, so the acoustic set up in the den is far better than where the Bose reside.)

Submitted by koen de moortel a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: June 21, 2000

Bottom Line:
i have these babies for more than three years now, and although i'm thinking of replacing them for a mission set,
they still sound awesome. it takes some tome to do some equalising to get the sound right for music, but once you've done that, they rock the house. i can recommend these speakers for starters, but not for audiophiles.
perfect for dance music, but not very open with classic.
wonderfull design, your wife will love you for it, your neighbours will hate you, as they go staggeringly loud !