Triangle Antal

Submitted by Sinna a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: April 15, 2008

Bottom Line:
Triangle Antal Ex. The newest, top model of the Esprit Series

Have yet to hear a better, more rounded speaker at the price...and I've tried many

Since Triangle has done away with the highly rated Celius (one of Sam Tellig's all time favourites), these Antals are now the top of the range. I have heard the Celius several times before but these new Antals are playing on a completely new playing field. Everything on these speakers are supposedly new. New cone and new drivers.

After hearing these speakers at my local hifi shop, I was immediately taken aback. Not by the incredibly smooth and rich sound but the unbelievable price. These speakers sound at least twice the price. I suppose that most of the money went into R&D and driver/cone materials than the actual case, as it's made of vinyl woodprint and not real wood. But I do have to say that they do look rather good and you couldn't really tell the difference.

Once heard, I had to buy them and a couple of days later they were standing in my listening room. Quite a feat as they weigh 25kg each. Naturally I let them break in several hours first but the sound they conveyd was already quite ok, a little closed and muddled but hints of its talents were showing. After a week or so (100 hrs), something bizarre happened, they speakers sounded worse and worse. Even more muddled and confused. Even a friend of mine (non-audiophile) chuckled and remarked that he preferred my previous speakers (a couple of Sonus Faber Conertinos). I was starting to get a little worried and frustrated.

But surely enough, a week (over 200 hours) later, the speakers really came into their own. Amazing soundstage, accurate imaging and breathtaking resolution. Instruments sound natural. Voices sound believable. But what really is incredible about these large speakers is that they have abosultely no issues about room size or positioning. They sound great in my small listening room and just as good in the much larger shop. They also have no problem standing close to the wall. I also tried them with a lot of equipment including Naim CD Players (CD5x, CDX2), a Raysonic CD128 and Int. Amps including Pathos Classic One, Naim Nait, Graaf GM50. The sound these speakers achieved from the various combinations was nothing short of spectacular. I actually prefered them to some lower end Martin Logans, and most Operas and Sonus Fabers, and many were a lot more expensive.

These are without doubt one of the best speakers I have ever bought or had the pleasure to listen to. I am still amazed at the price. One of the most natural sounding speakers on the market today. The fact that they are so 'set' (including tubes) and room friendly make these a real 'must hear'.

Purchased At:   London

Submitted by hendrix142002 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 9, 2007

Bottom Line:
I just got a used Antal on a very good price. It is quite difficult to sell it in the secondhand market here in Singapore because of the bad notion that this speakers sound bright. Well it is "BRIGHT" to my sytem at least.

These are actually good speakers as long as you know how to make use of it's strength, which are the transparent mid and highs and a fast and dynamic bass.

Upon first listen to my system, it was really bright that my ears cannot take it on some recordings. Bass seems to be sometimes loose.

Did surgery and replaced the tweeter caps (using normal 2.7uf bi-polar electrolytic caps) to Mundorf Supreme 2.2uf and the mid driver caps (using a normal 6uf bi-polar electrolytic caps) to Solen. Internal cables were replaced with Neotech PCOCC solid core.

Wow, what a diference and I'm just hitting the 60hrs mark while writing this. The transparency of these speakers are so good that the soundstage is just lifelike. Higs are now extended and clear, without the irritating glare/sibilance. The mids are now more tangible and the bass seemed to improved in weight and texture.

All in all, i could conclude that the review stated at Soundstage was true. In my case, in my system, after I did all these parts upgrade.

If you could get them at a good price don't hesitate. If it doesn't work out on your system, ask somebdy to do the upgrade, if you are not handy with the soldering iron.

Submitted by ylim a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: December 24, 2004

Bottom Line:
This review is for the Celius 202. I bought them on blind faith having read a lot of good press over the years. I'm driving the Celius with an Electrocompaniet ECI-3 (integrated) rated at 70wpc into 8ohms; it is more than sufficient to make these babies sing. I couldn't be happier with the combination. I imagine the Celius would also work well with good tube gear being so efficient. All of positive reviews you read about the Celius is absolutely true. These speakers are simply the best speakers I've heard for the money and I've heard a lot of speakers. I just wish I discovered them sooner. I also own a pair of Maggies and all I have to say is the Celius is every bit as transparent as planars but with the added punch of boxed speaker. The Celius handles transients with the best of them. All i have to say is these speakers are addictive.

Purchased At:   NA

Submitted by Symphonic a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: October 13, 2004

Bottom Line:
This is a review for the Triangle Celius 202 floorstander.
It is a great speaker and at the price I think it has no match, unless you push an extra $1000 at least.

I also own the Triangle Magellan Concerto which are six times the price of Celius, but believe me when I say that Celius are one hell of a speaker.
If you want to come as close to the real thing as possible and not to spend a fortune then they are the best you can get.

Price Paid:    $2000.00

Purchased At:   Athens, Greece

Submitted by simon gajda a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: December 21, 2003

Bottom Line:
IHAVE ANTALS ABOUT 2 YRS .TREBLE WAS ALWAYS BRIGHT, EVEN WITH TUBES.MY SOLUTION TO THIS IS :202 SERIES TWEETER.
HARMONIC TECHNOLOGY CABLES,24/96MONARCHY AUDIO UPSAMPLER AND24/94 DAC,I AM100%SURE SMOOTH WILL BE THE SPEAKERS MIDDLE NAME.DID I SAY USE TUBES ?

Purchased At:   audiowaves