Totem Acoustic One
Description: 2 way design

Submitted by Spurs a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: November 29, 2003

Bottom Line:
I have owned the Totem Model One for about 9 years, so I know them very well. Actually, this speaker started my interest in hi-end audio. I think it is a beautiful looking speaker - I have mahogany - , especially when used with the Target stands. As for the sound, It is the small size of these speakers that makes them seem so impressive; it is hard to believe that the sound comes from them. However, they will expose poor electronics, and it is critical to have a good 100 watt amp. It blew my Cyrus One amp. twice. I found the Classe CA 100 to be the best within its group. The Bryston 3B-ST kept clipping during the audition, and it caused the drivers to flap around. Because of this, I had to replace the mid/bass drivers. Overall, it is a good speaker, and it seemed a fair price when I brought them. However, I do not know whether that is the case now. The only problem I have had has been with the mid/bass drivers, which have torn again. I do listen to music loud, but I have a pair of $200 Mission speakers that have never torn under the same conditions. If I remember correctly, these famed Dynaudio drivers are going to cost me $250 each compared to my $5 Mission drivers. You have been warned!

Purchased At:   Elite Electronics

Submitted by Richard a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: August 21, 2001

Bottom Line:
I did not intend to write a review of these speakers. A friend wants them bad and I was thinking about upgrading. Its just is not easy to replace the Totems! Now my wife has confessed her love for them and complicated matters. How to find a speaker that is as pleasing to the eye, yet
has the same freedom from the usual colorations?
The Totem 1 is not a perfect speaker. It does not do well in a bright system. It needs a sub for full range. It demands a high quality amp with balls. My Marsh does a great job, and to my surprise, my buddy's Bedini 25/25 drives them quite well also (wonderful amp).
What the Totems do well they do very well. THE classic Mini design, still the one to beat! In a good system they sound clean, fast, musical and never sound small. And in mahogany they are gorgeous.
OK, Im gushing, but I did not fully appreciate them untill it was time to upgrade. If you understand this speaker you will know they deserve 5s down the line.
Open, dynamic and guaranteed to give you that "out of box experience". Hear them.

Purchased At:   new

Submitted by Enzo Park a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: July 2, 2001

Bottom Line:
Should not expect a full range detail from this mini-monitor. Excels on piano, violin and female vocal.
Especially if you play Alfred Brendel, it feels like he is near beside you but when you play Brendel with an orchestra setting, he is somewhere in the forest. Highly recommend for chamber and solo music lovers.

Current system set up is: Jadis Orchestra integrated amplifier, CEC CD player, Theta pro basic D/A converter and the cables from Cable house.

Some says it shows more vibrant and wide sound when connected to amplifiers with at least over 150~200 Watts. Tried that with couple of amplifiers in that range but didn't produce impressive sound.

Purchased At:   Mozart Music in Seoul

Submitted by A. Silva a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 16, 2001

Bottom Line:
In the past I review this speakers. And I still thinking in the same way. Is a very good speaker, and in general the sound is very satisfying, however with some amps and cables the sound can be fatiguing.
A few momnth ago I modify the hi capacitor of the crossover, I change the cheap (but good) Solen capacitor for a Jensen paper in foil cap. These Danish caps are almost 4 to 5 times the sise of the polipropilen French caps. Now the highs are a little more prominent (ups!!), however the sound is more transparent and natural. I'm satisfied with this.
Now, I try this speakers with the Pass Aleph 3, which is a mellow sounding amp, not to brigth with soft highs, I think is a good match for this speakers. In the past I try it with my Bryston 3B-ST,and Counterpoint NPS-100, and with various pairs of speaker cables. The best results that I had were with the Counterpoint amp (and the Pass amp in this moment), and with Audioquest Forest (mellow sounding cables)and Indigo Speaker Cables.
Now I have connected the speakes to my Pass Aleph 3 amp via Kimber Monocles XL (speedy bright sounding cables) and the higs (fatiguing) and bass (good) were more prominent. I will return promptly to the Forest cables.

Submitted by T Jap a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 12, 2001

Bottom Line:
Good sound, need more power than B&W 805, sound a bit bright with kimber 4TC bi-wired, better use Van Den Hull CS-122 or 352 bi-wired. Transparent sound for acoustic music, excellent. Good combination with sub woofer if you need more bass, I have tried with M&K V100 subwoofer with very good result.

Purchased At:   Jakarta, Indonesia