Thiel CS2

Submitted by David a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: April 23, 2016

Bottom Line:
Upon auditioning these speakers, I heard a very serious tone out of them (on axis of course). Their bass is quite exceptional and is flat, their rollon to the midrange is very clean as well.

For a new audio person let me say this since there is no image of them. They scared the crap out of me everytime I looked at them in the night walking to my kitchen to get a glass of water. I mean, I traded mine in for some scarier CS 3.6's (which are tall enough to ride any rollercoaster). And those things don't scare me as much, but expect some nightmares if you haven't owned "audiophile speakers" before.

They also have the worst off axis response ever, their bass goes away and all center imaging leaves if you stand up. They also don't require a lot of power either, but I recommend experimenting with amp choice if you find a pair.

Submitted by Joliet Jim a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: September 11, 2009

Bottom Line:
I bought these in 1982 at Audio Consultants in Evanston. I use them to drive a 1964 Fisher 500-C tube receiver, and the combination astonishes friends who come over for a listen.

We auditioned the Thiels against quite a few speakers costing more, and my lady friend, the oboe player, made the choice. In 1982, these speakers cost $1400, and that was not cheap then.

I suppose if I had many thousands of dollars to spend, I would upgrade to the Thiel's latest top-of -the line.

But these old speakers are in perfect condition and display a fabulous presence: clear, clean and very dynamic, and I am so happy with them, I think I'd actually use inherited money to buy something else. Maybe, maybe a subwoofer. But the bass is pretty good just the way these speakers came from the factory.

Submitted by rickywallace a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: February 1, 2008

Bottom Line:
Dear Thiel fans,

I am still using my Thiel CS2s. I purchased them in 1988, for about $1600 and had only one problem: replacing a driver. They have been marvelous. My system consists of mostly budget audiophile components: Adcom 555 amp, PS Audio 4.6 preamp, Thorens 146 turntable, cheap Sony cd player, Arcam tuner, Arcici turntable stand. That's about it except for the wires and interconnects.

The Thiels are some of the greatest speakers that I've ever heard. I am thinking about buying the 2.4s in the Crutchfield cataolog. I think they cost about $2400.
Also, I'm thinking about buying the NAD 515 BEE cd player to soften my system. If you can afford Thiels, buy them. Crutchfield's price ifor the 2.4s is very reasonable!

Purchased At:   Sound Gallery, Lexin

Submitted by Paul a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 11, 2007

Bottom Line:
Incredibly detailed, transparent speaker with an immense soundstage and airy highs.
Awesome value, (I picked them up for 500$ in a teak finish).

I'm running them off an elderly reciever from the late 70s (150 wpc), and I'm quite satisfied. A sub will be added for that extra response in the bass, but otherwise quite wonderful. Of the speakers I auditioned, I found these to be superior to all but the Magnepan 1.6QR (and obviously it's larger siblings), but with a difference of 1000$, the choice was easy.

Purchased At:   Audio Consultants

Submitted by MarioM a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 12, 2006

Bottom Line:
This is the first version of the cs2 that i have. The spec is : bw 42Hz-22KHz +/- 3 db, very flat amplitude response 43hz-20KHz +/- 2 db, phase response min +/- 10 degrees, sensitivity 87 dB ([at] 1 watt-meter, impedance 6 ohms, rec power 40-250 watts, size 31x31x100 cm, weight 62 lbs each. I have buy the speaker first and i have buy all the others components of my audio system after for matching with this speaker. I have noticed that with wrong component these speaker can sound bright. I chose my component for having a soft and warm sound whithout loosing on openness and precison. my associated equipment is : Jolida jd1501rc hybrid integrated amp, Van den Hul cs-122 speaker cables, the brand new Rega Apollo cd player (it is fantastic with the Thiel). The interconnect for the cd is a audioquest anaconda that give a extra openness and clarity. My mitsubishi da-f20 tuner match also very well with this setup. the result is unbelivable for a old speaker. This speaker are a bargain.

Purchased At:   Audio Club