Technics SB-A38
Description: 3 Way Speakers (Double woofer)

Submitted by alex7905 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: July 24, 2006

Bottom Line:
First off I would like to let every one know i did not buy these speakers new,so i dont know exactly what year they are, my guess would be somewhere between 96-98.
The speakers sound good, they have very crisp clean highs, and a pretty good bottem end. They deliver a pretty nice punch around 125hz and stay strong until about 55hz.

Runing off my Harman/Kardon HK6500, one of the draw backs is at high volumes they seem to make my amp clip a little more than my old pair of cerwin vegas, witch is unusual because my vegas where 4ohm and the technics are 8ohm. Also I got a little bit of distortion out of the midrange and tweeters at high volume. But at normal listening levels the sound great.

I would Recommend these speakers to a person who likes to sit and enjoy good sound at a normal volume, but dont get me wrong these speakers will still crank pretty loud with out distortion if you have the right amp.

I would not recommend these speakers to someone who just likes to crank their stereo really loud all the time.

I did a couple of mods these speakers and flat rock, and are able to produce high volume with out distortion. The mo
ds I have done to mine are listed below.

Un hook the bottem woofer on each speaker this will take the clipping out of your amp without changing your ohm load. note. the speakers will not perform good under 100hz. Buy another small amp to run them off of. (I am using a small pioneer receiver) Run the subwoofer output from the small amp or receiver into the input of your Original amp to run a subwoofer or subwoofers.(i am running a dual voice coil 8" subwoofer and a dual voice coil 10" subwoofer off my Harman/Kardon. If You are running the technics off a receiver or intigrated amp, control your volume from it, If you are running a plain amplifier control your volume from the pre amp.

I hope this review helps.

Thanks,
Alex

Purchased At:   2005

Submitted by Richard smart a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 26, 2001

Bottom Line:
I like these speakers because when playing DVD movie and games they look great with the covers off all around good speaker with good bass and good for parties and music.
I have my speakers hooked up to a Denon AVR-1601 which dose not have 260 watts out put but having a bass bost makes the speaker that much more enjoyable.

Purchased At:   ?

Submitted by Ken Kucinski a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: October 4, 2000

Bottom Line:
I have a technics Dx940 that is real clean and powerful, especially when i use the SB-A38 speakers. The sound is just real pure and clean with these babys. They are made out of paper, that is why they are so inexpensive, but thats what makes them also so detailed .Sound goes through paper more easily. Independece day and Terminator 2 on 5.1 sound better with these speakers than my dads $1000 dollar speakers. I also have a technics digital equilizer (SH-GE70)
that makes my stero music sound flawless. Has real good bass if you set the equilizer right if you have one. The only other speakers that are better than the SB-A38s are the Technics T-300 which my friend has (200 dollars more).
Technics is the best audio company in my opinion,,even though they have made some mistakes (Dx 930 overheating).

Purchased At:   Friend

Submitted by Kevin a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: August 23, 2000

Bottom Line:
I bought these about a year ago and I wasn't very impressed with the bass that these speakers put out. I wouldn't recommend buying them if you are like me and like to have heavy bass.

Purchased At:   Sound World

Submitted by Technic a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 29, 2000

Bottom Line:
Technics are a brilliant, underestimated product and deserve all the recognition they get. The SB A38's are a fantastic speaker that produce awesome bass and great vocal and instrumental sound. 5 stars all round!!