Tannoy Saturn S6
Description: This model utilises a 165mm tannoy Dual ConcentricTM driver in conjunction with a 165mm supplementary bass driver.

Submitted by Saint Loup a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: August 18, 2004

Bottom Line:
Dual Concentrics are really outstanding. From the first moment I heard a note played by these speakers I fell in love with them. The dual concentric gives a kind of coherence to the sound that you wont find in normal speakers with separated tweeters and woofers. Pinpointing is excellent, and at the same time, each instrument sounds big and plenty of weight.
I´ve never heard a softer speaker than this. Sound is "creamy", that´s the best word to describe it. You can listen for hours without getting tired. Your ears will be very grateful to you if you buy the Saturns.
Some speakers I´ve heard have great bass, great definition and detail, good tranparency, good high frequency dispersion, etc... But they are not musical at all, they have no refinement. I´m talking about Jamos, Paradigms, Kliptschs and others. I´m sure they are great for Rock, Hip-hop, Pop or whatever. I´m sure they shake walls...but for classical music, you need a sweeter sound, a sound that reproduces acoustic instruments (wich have more complex harmonics) in a natural way. With these Tannoys, each instrument sounds just like in real life. Any person who regularly goes to concerts of classical music knows (or at least should know) how real instruments trully sound. Also, I have many musician friends, so I´m used to hear violins, pianos, clarinets, close to me, and for that reason I POSITIVELY KNOW that these speakers are really natural.

Purchased At:   Tannoy distributor C

Submitted by hummanahhummanah a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 1, 2003

Bottom Line:
After having borrowed my brother's Acoustic Energy Aegis One speakers, I finally succeeded in finding a set of speakers that meet my every demand: good clarity, amazing dynamics, good fast bass.

I listen to soft rock, blues and jazz. They have no problem whatsoever with a fast kickdrum or guitar solo. Their detail allows you to hear for example the triangle on the Metallica S&M album or the breathing (and other oral sounds) of a singer. You will hear every single instrument on the recording. I turned them in at an angle of about 10 degrees to increase soundstage.

I'm going to keep these speakers for at least 10 years.

My setup:
NAD C730
NAD C521i
Tannoy Saturn S6
Ixos 2.5 mm (bi-wire)

Purchased At:   Soundservice, Boxmee

Submitted by Randolph Morrison a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: April 12, 2001

Bottom Line:
I am driving these speakers with Sony STR-DB840,the sound clarity on the lows and highs I think is fantastic in that they are natural. I use it for normal listening as well as surround, the sound reproduction is execellent. The audio shop introduced me to the Tannoys after my description of the variety of music I listen to. In order to update my rear speakers I am considering buying another pair. Anyone out there who is considering a pair of speakers with an allround performance for the price range of 500-1000, should consider these speakers.

Purchased At:   Hitek Audio

Submitted by Daniel Kostzer a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: April 3, 2001

Bottom Line:
At the begining, very detaliled and good bass, but the midrange somehow weak. After some hours of burn in period, the sound improved significantly.
They are sensitive to small changes in possition. I found the best soun with toeing in around 5 degrees.

I use them bi wired with monster xp
Arcam alpha 7 cd
Arcam alpha 8 integrated amp.

Purchased At:   Audio Wullich

Submitted by Mick a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 7, 2001

Bottom Line:
These speakers are, for the price paid, fantastic. It carves out a wide stereo image, with good depth, and for 6.5" woofers, gives amazing bass extension. Generally uncoloured, the midrange can get a little pinched at high levels, which can also show thorugh as a slight sibilance through the tweeter. Overall, for the price they are magnificent, and are in my opinion better than the 603's which were twice the price. Not only are they musical, but in a home theatre context they are superb, with fantastic reproduction of movie soundtracks and can be run full range without a sub. Highly recommended, and for the price paid, a steal.

System: