Tannoy 611mkII

Submitted by Johnny Farm a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: June 20, 2006

Bottom Line:
An excellent tower speakers. Very clarity sound with greats bass.
Solid construccion and very good nice. Highly recommended ¡¡¡

Purchased At:   Audiomarket go

Submitted by sonus31 a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: June 23, 2002

Bottom Line:
I have had these speakers (the mk1 versions) for 8 months now and can find nothing but praise for the way they deliver music - yes music, not a part of the music but ALL of the music.

I had a pair of Jamo Concert 11’s that went missing during a house move, but managed to get compensation from the removals firm. So off I went to find a replacement pair that I seen advertised in a London store. Out of curiosity I auditioned a few other speakers that they had in – including the Tannoy 611’s. After listening for about 2 hours I was amazed to find that the Jamo Concert 11’ s had nothing to offer over the 611’s (other than to make me £1,400 poorer). I bought them for a laughable £295, took them home and have lived happily ever after.

I see from other descriptions here that some are finding the upper frequencies too harsh – this has got to be the amplifier – get a decent amp on the end of these and they will stun (I use a Talk Electronics Cyclone 1L). True giant killers!

Purchased At:   London

Submitted by kingstar a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: February 25, 2002

Bottom Line:
As a music technology student and an audiophile in my spare time, I love music and I like as accurate reproduction of it as possible. I work with flat response monitors anyway on my course, and after listening to music on those then listening to the same piece on home loudspeakers, you notice a cetain lack of clarity and the amount of colouration that home loudspeakers provide. A did my research into these speakers, and they consist of 3 drivers, two of which are mounted dual concentrically, which are the HF and the 8 inch mid/upper bass driver. Below it is a supplementary 8 inch bass driver. The dual concentric driver is exactly the same technology used in high end professional Tannoy monitors. These speakers provide a flat response from 45hz up to 30Khz with very little fluctuation, and basically they sound amazing. I was scepticle about buying portless speakers such as these, since from previous experiences, sealed cabinets haven't provided the low end extension that I've thrived for, even though my 10 inch Tannoy Oxford T125 provide alot of deep bass as weel as port turbulance. But combined with the supplimentary bass unit and the mass loaded upper bass cone, these speakers provided tight, fast responding bass with the depth of ported cabs, without the port turbulance. I can play all styles from trip hop to jazz, and classical to jungle music on these speakers and they will not do anything unjust to the music. (My model happens to be the 611 mkII)

Purchased At:   1015 music store 2nd

Submitted by Ezekiel Ifill Ifill a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: February 25, 2002

Purchased At:   1015 music store 2nd

Submitted by Gonçalo Fernandes a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 19, 2002

Bottom Line:
It's a beautifull pair of loudspeakers! well built.
The sound is big! It plays well with allmost kinds of music.
The only issue with them is the higth frequencies: they are too much for the rest of the sound and it tends to go very hard.
I have a pair of the first 611's for more than 10 years and still playing very well. I know that this problem with the hight frequencies was kind of solved with the MkII version... I hope so.

Purchased At:   Local Shop