System Audio 1130

Submitted by jrice54 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 27, 2002

Bottom Line:
I'll add a little to the above reviews (this is of the similar 1150 model): Don't expect low bass. You have to pair these with something with a lot of bass control. However, the rest of the audible range has a speed, openness and clarity that has to be heard to be believed. This makes up for the bass, IMHO. They also sound the same at low and high volumes, which is a big plus in a centrally-located room, or when you are entertaining friends.

Other things that you should consider:
They have a very high WAF--they are well made, attractive and unobtrusive. They place the drive units high above furniture, cats, etc. In a real-world listening environment, this is very important! Up to a point (that I won't and can't pass in my condo!) they play cleanly at high volumes. And they are easy to place, also important when you are trying to incorporate them in a real living room.

Purchased At:   Holm Audio

Submitted by Gregg a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 11, 2001

Bottom Line:
When I first hooked these up I couldn't believe how great they sound with pieces featuring acoustic bass. It sounds as though the instrument is right in front of you- full and round and woody. I was then disappointed with many other recordings and almost took them back. Then I bi-wired them properly. Don't bother to use these speakers otherwise. They now sound amazing on anything acoustic. I listen to jazz, folk, funk, classical and rock. These speakers sound as good as almost anything I've heard (including much more expensive speakers) except on the rock and funk. They are liveable on that music if you bi-wire.

People that listen to them point between the speakers and say "It sounds like the music is coming from there!" That's what good imaging is about. This narrow point source does a great job.

Purchased At:   The Analog Shop

Submitted by ian curtis a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 8, 2001

Bottom Line:
Firstly I´m an enthusiast but no expert and my review is based purely on how i hear sound.
I was interested in trying out an a/v receiver for the first time after many years of enjoying good stereo (audio only),so I purchased a harman kardon avr3000 together with these speakers.
My first consideration was that they should be wife friendly and by this I mean small and be able to produce a good clean and detailed sound especially at low volume.
After having used these for only a few weeks and incidentally I am only using front speakers at the moment (no center or satellites) I have to say they are amazing.
Sound is pure,clean and very,very detailed.(Example:Matrix in pure stereo picks up all those metallic effects and machine gun firing with razor sharp quality.)Also the spaciousness is outstanding-Im not sure I will bother with more speakers,at least not until I can make use of digital signals.
Overall if you want detail and great movie pleasure at a sensible volume I am very sure you will not find better than these little babies.(don´t be mistaken,they can handle volume as well if that is what you want.
Recommendations:
Fill the cabinet to about half volume with sand-blasting sand.This is good and heavy and has a good stabilization affect and will increase the dynamics and detail a great deal.
By-wiring for some improvement but by-amping is a better option if you are lucky enough to have two amps.
All in all:
These speakers have the looks (remember they live in our living-rooms and not a sound studio),they have such detail,(so important for film viewing) and they are as good musically as for film.)
For the price you will not do better,believe me!!

Purchased At:   hificenter,stavanger,norway

Submitted by Martin Woodall a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: August 16, 2000

Bottom Line:
These speakers are pretty cheap in Denamrk as they are made here. Like everyone alse I can't believe that solid bass can come from two 11cm units, it can't, even in these speakers. The bass made is instead clean and smooth. Just drop whatever else you listening to and get these (if it's your price area), I did. These speakers produce more detail than any other I've heard, and all the sound are clear and clean. Even the soundstage is wide and deep.
If you prefer quiet listening over party's these are the best, but they won't have a chance at those party's.

Submitted by Matt Elgie a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 28, 2000

Bottom Line:
I have never owned a pair of speakers of this quality before. I started out looking at B&W 601's. I was then introduced to the Tonnoy Mercury M5's. I thought they were fantastic. If you have the room to position them I highly recommend them for the price. I however have a small, crowded living room where my stereo needs to be. The house was built in 1922 and is not layed out for easy stereo setup. Due to my room space limitations I was shown the System Audio 1130's since they are more forgiving in their placement (they can be closer to sidewalls and adjacent furniture). Their sound is unbelievable. The purity of the sound, clarity and spacousness of the soundstage is hard to explain. They were more then I was planning on spending ($1,000 for the pair) but after hearing them there was no hesitation. They also have an extremely high WAF rating (Wife Approval Factor). My wife couldn't understand paying this much for speakers, but after listening to them the first night she said we had to keep them. I am no expert, just a normal guy, but these are great speakers and I'm happy to own a pair. The finish quality is great. I chose the cherry veneer, but they also come in rosewood and black.
The pair I brought home were store demos, so they were broken in already. I will return these and pick up my new pair next week. The guys at Holm Audio ( 75th & I-355 SW Chicago suburbs) say it will take about 40-50 hours for my new speakers to break in and start sounding as good as these floor demos. Bi-wiring with premium speaker cables (I chose Nordost Super Flatline Cable) is a must. At first I didn't believe, but it truely makes an audible difference. These Holm Audio guys were super to deal with, no push or hard sell, just very knowledgable, relaxed and willing to talk whether you were going to buy or only looking. They let me take these home for 5 days and will even take full purchase price for trade-in on the ones I buy for any future equipment upgrades. They now have one more loyal customer. I also bought an NAD T750 A/V reciever at the same time and after I get a little more time with it I will send in a review. PS, God I love these speakers :)!!!