Spendor SP 1-2

Submitted by Maprik a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: December 17, 2004

Bottom Line:
This is a follow-up review. After a few months with the SP1/2es I finally decided that although the SP1/2s are magical they weren't satisfying me completely in the imaging and bass department. I found myself missing my previous speakers the Audio Physic Sparks. Although the SP1/2s do a lot of things well I am in a phase of listening to a lot of my very old classic rock albums like Zeppelin, Supertramp, CSNY, Boston, Kansas, Yes, etc. The SP1/2s were just missing the power and slam and were way too laid back. I could enjoy the music through my headphones but not through the big speakers. So I started obsessing on the Sparks and ended up getting some used Spark IIIs. The midrange of the Spark IIIs captures maybe 90% of the SP1/2 magic but in the imaging and bass extension department I would call the SP1/2s about 50% of the Spark IIIs.

Purchased At:   Audiogon

Submitted by Erik a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: September 2, 2004

Bottom Line:
I'm not one of those audiophiles who listened to 20 speakers before I settled on the "perfect" one. Rather, I went into a store and asked what they had in the way of a moderate 2-way: "Spendor" was the response, so that's what I walked out with. I'm incredibly fortunate I did because nothing I've heard since matches what these speakers do. What, exactly, is the attraction? They allow you to throw any disc in your collection in, sit down with your coffee, and listen -- song after song. In fact, they're so good at making the connection that I never stop a song until it's over -- out of respect for the artist. Sounds a bit strange, I know, but Spendors will have this effect on a real music fan.
Notice I haven't analyzed their sound? Get thee to a Spendor dealer.

Purchased At:   Read Brothers

Submitted by Maprik a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: April 15, 2004

Bottom Line:
What is it about this speaker (SP1/2e) that is so beguiling? From the moment I hooked them up to my Unison Research Unico integrated I have been completely captivated. They deliver music like nothing I've ever experienced previously. I get shivers up and down my spine ALL THE TIME now. Whatever I am listening to I connect to at such a sub-atomic level (dare I say spiritual). Build quality is gorgeous although they are only 2 plain rectangular boxes. The woodgrain on my Rosewood pair is just incredible. I would expect no less for $3000+ speakers.
I just can't put my finger on it, except that these speakers capture the spirit of the music. The best speakers I've owned yet. I know they don't do deep bass but I haven't noticed. In my small room (10 x 10 x 8) they do just fine. Bass is tight and tuneful and that's most important to me. I don't care for thumpy deep bass. No need for a sub. I listen to mostly jazz and classical with a little electronica, rock, and even metal thrown in. Anything that's recorded well really. These SP1/2s in their refined british duds can play anything. Like Herb Reichert of Listener Magazine said in his review, "Can one speaker be all things to all people? The
Spendor SP1/2, a descendent of their classic BC1, comes awfully close."
I agree 100%.

Purchased At:   Audiogon

Submitted by nhorton a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 1, 2002

Bottom Line:
I bought these Spendor 2/2 secondhand on a spare of the moment whim as they rarely come up in Australia. Their condition was very good and upon checking with Spendor UK established they were made in 1991. They are in the black Ask real wood veneer and are bi wired. They have a supberb midrange, but lack a deep powerful bass, but I do not mind that at all. They are large by today's standards for a bookshelf and I have them on solid stands. They are being powered by a Quad 606, plenty of driving power. I did an AB comparasion with my Epos ES 12 and the Spendor are much clearer, but the Epos have the edge on the bass.

Purchased At:   E bay

Submitted by hbarrel a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 28, 2002

Bottom Line:
I hate admit I bought these speakers sight unseen and having never heard a Spendor product. Ever.
I'll not go on and on justifying the purchase. I'm happy.
The speakers are easy on the ears and are capable of providing extended listening pleasure. I'd buy them again.
Thanks to the other reviewers for your honesty.

Threshold T-100 Amp
no preamp
AH! Noej Tjoebs 4000 CD *best buy for money*
MSB Gold Link III
Some will shudder at the following... unknown make of inner connectors and power cord upgrades plus $6 a foot speaker wire with crimped on bananas.