Spendor S-100

Submitted by justiebabe a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: May 21, 2010

Bottom Line:
I have the SP-100s.

Amazing , Incredible, Fabulous Speakers!!!

I have owned many high end designs over the years. These include BBC LS5/8, Tannoy GRF, Rogers LS7ts, Chartwell LS3/5A, JR149, Quad Electrostatics. These Spendors are unrivalled.

I am totally in love with them and will never sell them. I have enjoyed so much beautiful music with these I could give the people at Spendor a huge hug and a kiss to say THANK YOU for making such a positive difference in my life. There is nothing I can say against them. Truly a pinnacle of loudspeaker design.

Submitted by guitardave a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: February 21, 2009

Bottom Line:
I always assumed Spendors were not for me, assuming they were "old school" and bloated and colored sounding. I was a regular Thiel user, also Quad US Monitors, etc. I bought a pair of S-100's on Audiogon for pretty cheap, to check them out. I was completely blown away by them. They are far and away the most neutral, natural, versatile, and ENJOYABLE speakers I have ever heard. Additonally, they do all the typical audiophile things (imaging, etc) very well. Overall, the term I would use to best describe them is natural. The truly just sound real. Also they are very easy to drive, and fairly efficient.

Submitted by cameronr a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: February 20, 2005

Bottom Line:
I have to agree with most of what has been already praised about these speakers. They are one of the best speakers I have ever heard. Musically involving like very few others, and I have heard most of the big names like JM Lab, Martin Logan, Dynaudio, B&W, Revel, Proac etc.

Regarding the one recurring caution surrounding the bass, I find that in my large room (5x7metres), the bass is not an issue as it has been for some other reviewers. It sounds deep, clean and fabulously integrated with a superbly tactile midrange.

But the key to this speaker is not to analyse the sound but experience its overwhelming musicality. I dont ask myself does it image, how big is the soundstage and all that other usual hifi talk. I just let the music wash over me in a state of wonderment.

I had thought to find a potential rival in the B&W 803, (a speaker I had heard sound very promising on cursory auditioning), but after a more lengthy audition the other day, I quickly formed the conclusion that the SP100 wipes the floor with the B&W803. The 803 is a very good high fidelity speaker and impresses on that score, but comparing the two is a bit like comparing a BMW sports model to a Lamborghini. The BMW has technical excellence, but the latter has soul in spades.

Back to the speakers, the 803 has new technology in spades, c.f. the SP100's tried and trusted materials, but the clever technology counts for nought at the end.

I had heard the Legacy Focus a few months before acquiring the SP100s, so a direct comparison isn't possible, but whilst I thought the Focus had great bass and a clean midrange, I do not recall it possessing anything like the same presence.

Submitted by Kshovlin a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 14, 2004

Bottom Line:
My comments about this speaker are short and to the point. If you have a chance to purchase them and are tired of finding the speaker that you can be satisfied with over the long haul, then beg, borrow or steal the funds to get your hands on a pair of these. I am a 59 year old audio enthusiast who has been through too many speakers to count. I purchased these two years ago to upgrade from the Spendor SP 1 [another great speaker, by the way]. My listening room was ultimately too large for these, however, and so I trolled for a used pair of S-100's [Listener Magazine a major influence on my purchase of both Spendor products]. I could listen actively or passively to these speakers for 24/7 and never be bored, disappointed, or most importantly fatigued. These will be the last speakers that I own, period.

Purchased At:   Private Party

Submitted by kkltam a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: September 9, 2003

Bottom Line:
The SP100 is possibly the most "musical" speakers I've auditioned. I liked them so much that I bought a used pair when I didn't need another pair of speakers. At the store I had them compared with the B&W nautilus 802 and 803, Infinitity Intermezzos 4.1, and no offense to the B&W and Inf. but they sound boring c/w the Spendor. What I heard from the SP100 was warmth, timbre accuracy, glorious midrange, and excellent sound stage esp. with classical vocals. They require good electronics to obtain the details and subtlties that very few speakers at this price range can offer.