SoundLab Millennium 1
Description: Full range, curved electrostatic dipole

Submitted by Steven Evanson a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: October 28, 2003

Bottom Line:
This is for the M-3, a smaller version of the M-1, but basically the same design. I purchased them directly as demos from the factory, toroid option, list price $9,100; demos $6,400.

These arrived in large crates which were difficult to handle and moderately easy to assemble with the right tools. They are big (26" x 57.5") and heavy.

They provide a very broadly dispersed sound unlike other electrostats, are full range, unlike other stats, and the detail is substantially greater than Martin-Logans or Acoustats, my previous speakers. Impeccable sound, possibly the best I've ever heard, exquisite detail, extreme clarity and naturalness, huge sweet spot, excellent dynamics for a stat. Everything I was hoping for as a stat fan, but....

My beloved McIntosh MC352, 2x350wts. wouldn't drive them louder than 80-85 db. without clipping. These are extremely inefficient speakers. No problem, I dropped $3.5k for an Innersound amp designed to drive stats, high volt/amp output. It hadn't arrived before a hole developed in the membrane in one speaker along with loud hissing and spitting. I followed all set-up procedures exactly, setting the bias and other controls as instructed by the factory. They are now on their way back to the factory to be repaired and I probably won't accept them back.

I got in the chatroom at the SoundLab Owners Site and found that other SL owners had similar problems with membranes destructing while some had no problems. I also learned from experienced
SL owners that SL's will not work well with many types of amps, are sensitive to humidity shifts (we live along the ocean), cannot handle direct sunlight for more than 20 minutes (they're near a window), may deteriorate from radiant heat (we have it), and easily destruct if the bias control is set incorrectly (I believe I got that one right). Many of these weaknesses are not mentioned in the owners manual. Further, the quality of construction in the panels was iffy in spots and the speakers weren't a matched pair; size of individual panels weren't matched, etc.

The sound is unquestionably the best I've ever heard. The above problems complete negate the sound and I am returning them and getting my money back. I don't need speakers that change when the fog comes in and blow up membranes...and for $9k+ list, puleeze. Let's get some design and quality control here SoundLab. These are the equivalent of an exotic high performance car which requires constant attention and maintainance.

Purchased At:   SoundLab factory

Submitted by john maltby a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 14, 2000

Bottom Line:
great sound but perhaps a little weak on low end bass. Big and awkward due to their size and weight, but are great conversation piecies even before you turn them on. If you are looking for speakers you need to hear thes for a hour or so and then decide on what you want to buy. Once you here these you may never enjoy box speakers again.

Submitted by Duke LeJeune a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: November 30, 2000

Bottom Line:
Since posting my original review below I have become a Sound Lab dealer (my first foray in to retail!). But I had no thought of becoming a dealer when I posted it - so it's totally from the heart. Actually it would be anyway, but hey dealers are always a bit suspect, right? Anyway, I'm sorry to see John Maltby had a bad experience - I think there must be some miscommunication somewhere because I've found the folks at Sound Lab to be wonderful. They have given me and my customers superb service. John, perhaps I can help you with your situation? I do know that at least one time Roger West's e-mail account got filled up and he lost messages - perhaps that is what happened in your situation. If your dealer is unable to help you please contact me and I'll help all I can.

Purchased At:   Dealer

Submitted by Harry Hasbun a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: June 28, 2000

Bottom Line:
Well I want to start by saying I have put off this review till I had "experienced" the good and not so good days as an audiophile. I have a pair of the M1's with the Torodial transformer that are being driven by a pair of Wolcott Presence Amplifiers. My front end is a Rega 25 and a Jolida Reference Tube CDP. Magnan speaker cable and MIT 330 Shotgun Med. Impedence interconnects. Thor TA-1000 pre amp. O.K. now let me tell you what I hear. I hear excactly what is recorded. Good bad and everything in between. I cannot begin to describe how good good really is with these speakers. The midrange is truly unbelievable. Outstanding high end and the bass is present and commanding in its ability to convince. As you can see I have owned a few pair of speakers in my past. All had good things and some not so good. What makes the Millenium Ones SO good is that they do EVERYTHING very well. What impresses me most is the way it transitions so well. You really must experience it. No other way. I did not believe how an acoustic set or Jimmy Page for that matter on a major lick was right there. No muddy reverb, just clean. I walk around my room and from the left to the right, from sitting to standing the soundstage is excellent and the sound quality is present throughout without a big loss of soundstage. Low or high volume it is scary how awesome they sound. The build quality is to die for. I had mine done in natural birdseye maple. Folks they are lovely to hear and see.
I have received my Soundlab Dynastats and they are playing now. I am reserving that review for another day and after I have really enjoyed them. I must comment on the post by John Maltby. I do not know how anyone could say ANYTHING bad about the customer service. I feel like they are family. I had experienced a minor problem and let me tell you they did more than I could have ever expected in the way they handled things. Once they had talked with me they had me Fed Ex the part and they paid for OVERNIGHT shipping, repaired it and Overnighted it back. I know we all experience things differently but let me say that from Roger to Connie and Bret to Mary (They will all answer the phone if it is ringing and they Will answer e mail (at least mine they did)you are dealing with champions in the world of audio. I should tell you I am not a relative:-) I just love the product. And I like their uncompromising style of quality and manufactering. Enjoy the music.

Submitted by John Maltby a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: June 3, 2000

Bottom Line:
Great sound, requires large sound stage and a lot of power to drive. If you are going to spend this kind of money for speakers however you would think that Soundlab would return your emails. NOT. Also if you have a repair issue plan on waiting months for those repairs to be completed, and to spend a fortune on shipping. There is good reason why fewer and fewer dealers want to carry these speakers since they survive on repeat sales and word of mouth, Soundlab wants to sell you a product knowing that you will not buy another for several years and then either upgrade to a newer speaker or go to someone else. In essence you are buying a sports car and no one can work on it or get parts.