Sound Dynamics RTS-9

Submitted by M432 a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: December 2, 2006

Bottom Line:
The Sound Dynamics RTS-9, a floor standing "quasi 3-way" speaker, is a great product whose performance greatly exceeded its price tag at the time of sale and manufacture, and still does in 2006. These speakers have spent a little over six years in my listening room, and will likely remain there until Source Technologies speakers replace them. As with any speaker, when properly oriented and placed they yield their best performance. I have them spaced 8' apart, 14" off of the side wall, 21" from the front wall of my second story listening room with the listening position ~12' from the speakers.

I subject them to music from James Taylor to TOOL, from Mr. Bungle to Steely Dan, from Mozart to El-p, and find that they handle all of the aforementioned honestly and clearly.

My equipment consists of:
Kimber Illuminati Digital Coax Interconnect

Purchased At:   JSG Audio Video

Submitted by Fred a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: March 11, 2003

Bottom Line:
Very good speakers for the price(500$cnd), highly recommended

Purchased At:   local dealer

Submitted by Bob a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 3, 2001

Bottom Line:
These are not super high-end loudspeakers, but they are not priced into the stratosphere either. You really do get a lot more than what you pay for with these loudspeakers. As with most good speakers, better electronics translates into better loudspeaker performance. A taste of high-end for a bargain price.

Purchased At:   Audio Advisor

Submitted by TG a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 3, 2001

Bottom Line:
I bought this speaker based on reviews I had read. When I got them, one corner was nicked and the finish was peeling off. The box wasn't damaged, so it had to have happened before it was shipped. The highs were a little warm for my taste, and although the mids were full, were slightly dull.

Submitted by Jonathan a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 10, 2001

Bottom Line:
I am always for getting the most sound for the money, and in category, I am sure that these speakers are it. But when I was shopping around for speakers about a year ago, I realized that these speakers(I bought the floor demo for under $400 at video only, who no longer carries them) held their own with the $1000 + speakers. In fact, I could not tell if those more expensive speakers sounded better, so I bought the sound dynamics. I think my amp is one of the reason why the thing sound so good. Try one of the Diana Krall's tracks and you'll be VERY pleased with the sound. It's absolutely fabulous.

I prefer very natural sounding speakers, and these speakers are definitely strong in this area.

Purchased At:   Video Only