Sound Dynamics R-616

Submitted by BC Dave a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: July 15, 2009

Bottom Line:
I used to own a pair of Mirage 760 towers that I could kick myself for getting rid of. My wife thought they were too big and I replaced them with some Paradigm Minis V1. To my eyes the Minis were not in the same league. I have been keeping my eyes out for something comparable to my beloved Mirages and recently found a pair of Sound Dynamics R-616s for only $100 Canadian. These speakers really remind me of the Mirages in terms of fantastic imaging, room filling capability, smooth highs and excellent, heavy build quality. I believe the 760s, with twin eight-inch woofers, might have been a little better in the bass, but since I am using a powered Mirage sub with the Sound Dynamics, bass is not a concern. These are the best-sounding speakers I have had in years and for the cost of dinner for two out, I have to pinch myself.

Submitted by Neil a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: August 14, 2006

Bottom Line:
I have had these speakers for many years now and I have yet to hear other speakers in the same class that are compairable.
Of course if you want to spend over $1500, you could buy B & W's which I have heard, but are not that much better.

Purchased At:   Audio Video 2001

Submitted by Vetal a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: May 13, 2002

Bottom Line:
Nice deal. See mine opinion lower:

Submitted by Neil Cristo a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 27, 2002

Bottom Line:
I've had these speakers since the fall of 1997 and I love them. My dad has a pair of high end B&W speakers and these puppies are just good for way less money. I also use them for my HT system and they are great. I don't have a sub but these take care of the bass quite nicely. I also have a pair of Sound Dynamics RTS-3's for the rears. They are also amazing. I highly reccomend these speakers... for the price, there is nothing better out there.

Purchased At:   Local A/V shop

Submitted by Bruce Satow a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: October 23, 2000

Bottom Line:
Having owned a pair of Spica TC-50's midrange quality and imaging is very important to me. On a lark I bought a pair of R-616s. I was surprised how good they sounded. I'm using a Parasound PLD-2000 preamp and Musical Fidelity X-50s mono amps to drive them. Speaker Cables are Synergistic Research Alpha Speaker Cables. Interconnects are Synergistic Research Alpha Sterling. The midrange takes a while to break in. It's kinda strange, it happens all of a sudden too. One day the midrange is a bit muddled, then poof! They are fine! Source is from a Marantz CD-67SE CD player as well a Panasonic DVD player DVD-120 (which has better sound than the Marantz for CD audio believe it or not!) Bass is deep. Having listened to my Spica's I forgot how much bass these R-616s can produce. At times, the bass is a bit loose though, distracting, but not unpleasant. These speakers are also very revealing. If you have any weaknesses in your system, you will notice them more. Sound is natural well balanced. If you can get them on sale, they are equivalent in value to probally a $1000 pair. My next set will be the Legacy classics...

Purchased At:   AudioAdvisor