Snell Acoustics Type J/IV

Submitted by Oktyabr a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: May 22, 2010

Bottom Line:
The Snell Type J/IV was my first foray into Snell "vintage" (read: Peter Snell designed or influenced, RIP) speakers and I only sold them to try and move up the Snell tree replacing them with E/III. The E/III was also an excellent speaker, as all Snell are, but the rear-firing tweeter made it much more difficult to place well in my rather small listening room and did not have the same sort of punchy bass extension as the J/IV, even though they use identical woofers and front tweeters! The J/IV definitely can sound like a much bigger speaker and don't let the 50Hz roll off point shy you away... these will produce usable bass below 50Hz although a subwoofer is recommended for home theater use or thumping hip hop, etc. That said everything these do above 50Hz make these a put up a good fight against MANY speakers cost several times more than their $800 MSRP.

Possibly one of the best speakers I've ever owned and now I'm on the long hunt to locate another pair. If you can find a pair cheap, disregard everything you have ever read about them (including this review) and sell them to ME!

Submitted by Mike McGuire a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 2, 2003

Bottom Line:
I currently own the first iteration of the Type J's from the late 70's. I picked them up at a used stereo shop when I was building my first system. I have since replaced the electronics a few times, but can't seem to part with my Type J's. I have listened to several pairs of speakers costing a lot more than what I paid for my Snells, trying to upgrade my system, and nothing seems to come close. I thought it was just me, but after reading the reviews here, I think there is something to this speaker. It's well balanced, maybe a tad bass heavy but you can experiment with different distances from the back wall. It makes a huge difference. It throws a broad and deep soundstage that is well defined. I agree with the reviews in that this is a great jazz/R&B speaker, but not so much on the rock and roll side of the spectrum. The other wonderful thing about the Snells is the more power you give them, the better they get. I have mine bi-amped with audioquest cable and AMC power amps and the Snells just sing. Try a good female jazz pianist/vocalist with them, it's heaven. If you can find a pair of these used, grab 'em. They make a great pair of speakers for the beginning or intermediate audiophile, but becareful because you may never want to get rid of them.

Purchased At:   Echo Audio

Submitted by Chad a

Date Reviewed: August 5, 2001

Bottom Line:
The J is a lovely speaker for the money, with a really convincing soundstage (I first heard this on the Snell E-II's in 1984) if the electronics are coherent.

I think the bass reflex implementation leaves a tad to be desired, though, because the J has a distinct hump around box resonance. I didn't pull out the oscillator but it's noticeable, especially on jazz string bass. Rudy Van Gelder recordings will bring it out fast, like "Giant Steps"
I like the warmth, but it's not really flat. Strangely flat and wide enclosure, also. My intuition leads me to believe that this speaker exhibits some diffraction in the HF range due to the wide, flat front baffle and the orthogonal edges.
Also, it's not as flat in the critical crossover range as something like a Dynaudio 2-way like an Audience series or a BM6. Advanced designers have really come a long way with integration. But for the time, the Snells were great.
I gave mine to a friend who loves them.

Submitted by Iddles Nickelsworth a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 24, 2001

Bottom Line:
I have a pair of Snell J-Series Speakers purchased in 1994 that continue to have great sound. I'm in the market for a new pair/small pair of bookshelf speakers (moving in with girlfriend to very small apartment) that won't make me miss my old Snells. I have a Rotel tune/amp powering them. Anyone who has a good recommendation will get a sharp discount on the Snells

Purchased At:   Scarsdale, NY

Submitted by Soulville a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 6, 2001

Bottom Line:
Although no longer made, this is a superb mid-size speaker with a smooth and clear midrange, a clean top end, decent low-end for it's size (50hz), fantastic fit and finish with the option for bi-wiring which I recommend. Goes reasonably loud as well. Not a head-banger speaker by any means but is perfect for jazz, folk, blues, and classical music. Needs heavy, spiked lead-filled stands for maximum sonic benefit. Loves tube equipment as well. Somewhat of a forward sounding (read immediate) speaker overall with a reasonably wide and deep soundstage. Can sound very good at a low volume. The bi-wring option 'opens' the speaker up a tad and gets a slightly better overall sound. This is a great speaker for small-ish to medium sized rooms. Very well-balanced and a bargain to boot!