Snell Acoustics B-Minor
Description: 5 way tower

Submitted by polyglot a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: September 8, 2010

Bottom Line:
A lot has been said about their sonic qualities and I can only concur with most of them. These are the best vintage speakers for music listening under 5k per pair I have heard. Very precise and life like reproduction, great sound stage. There may be others that excel in particular areas (esp for the lower frequencies) but the B Minor had the best overall performance and relatively easy placement.
My best result is to drive them with my old Sansui CA3000 preamp and my trusted CJ MV75 tube amp.

On the down side I was surprised to find out that Snell didnt use the high quality drivers one should expect in this price category, I guess the excellent design made up for that.

Try to get a pair around $1,200-1,400 and you wont regret it.

Submitted by Brad a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 24, 2002

Bottom Line:
They love the bryston 4b-st,and will handle more power.
Biwiring ALWAYS helps. I use MIT 750's (2 pair)
Use only the BEST tube equipment if you prefer tubes, or just go quality solid state.

Submitted by Al a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: February 7, 2001

Bottom Line:
These speakers are great. I happened to stumble (long story)across someone that recommended them while I was auditioning other speakers in the $5-$7k price range. I saved a lot of money and feel I got a better speaker. I was fortunate that the only pair I could find for sale (Snell discontinued these,big mistake in my opinion)were in excellent condition. They are very lifelike with the right source. The guy selling them just purchased the Martin Logan Prodigys ($10k) and still had a hard time parting with these, after hearing both in his system I could see why. If you're in the market for speakers grab these if you can find them then put the money you saved towards upgrading your other eqp. because the Snells will reward your efforts. Oh well ..my wife just left so I have the house to myself and you audiophiles know what that means.

Purchased At:   used

Submitted by Allen a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: October 4, 2000

Bottom Line:
I listened to many different speakers at many different audio stores and I was dissapointed with most. I couldn't find a speaker that was better than my 1974 Snell Model 1's. I began to realize how good the Snell speaker is. I almost went for the Type A reference but I didn't have the correct room for them and I'm not real excited about powered speakers. The B Minor's ended up being perfect and I lucked out and got them on close-out. It's a shame that Snell does not product them any more.

Purchased At:   Audio Images (Allentown, PA)

Submitted by Jeff a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: May 14, 2000

Bottom Line:
Let me start by saying that there just isn't a better all
around dynamic speaker than the Snell B-minor. It is very accurate, open and detailed. This model is a true reference loudspeaker, easily discerning differences in components and recordings. This is the first speaker that I've owned that sounds very close to "live" as I've ever heard. It also has an amazing ability to sound superb way off axis; no more having to sit in the "sweet spot" to enjoy your music. You can be anywhere in the room, sitting or standing, to enjoy your system. I've also been amazed at how loud and utterly clear this speaker sounds when driven to high volume with super power amps! But what it astonishing is how articulate this speaker can sound also at low volume. Like others before have said, it's hard to part company with this speaker for under $10,000. If you are lucky enough to find a used pair -you'll have difficulty ever replacing them as these loudspeakers are truly an extreme high end, high value bargain!

Associated equipment: