Rogers LS 3-5a
Description: small classical 2-way monitor developed by the BBC in the 70's

Submitted by fernandoavelino a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: September 24, 2009

Bottom Line:
Mine it’s the 15 Ohms “White Belly” versions. I rear only good things about this mini-monitors but they really surprise me when I listen to they presentation in my system for the first time. This Rogers have a superb midrange, if excellent retrieval of micro-dynamics information and a soundstage that is almost holographic.
Since then, these speakers have improved if every change I made in the system.

Over the years I have heard speakers from Dynaudio, Sonus faber, Verity Audio, JM Lab, B&W and others well regarded brands but none had made such an impact on me. They have a unique sound, similar to the Sonus Faber Guarneri Homage, if less body but more speed and drama.

They require excellent equipment and cables to really shine. Tubes amps are a must.

Strengths:
Superb midrange, speed and transparency if a natural and balance presentation. Beautiful natural walnut finish.

Weaknesses: Can bee unforgiving if wrong equipment or cables. Low bass is messing but this is a mini-monitor after all.

Similar Products Used: Dynaudio, Sonus faber, Verity Audio, B&W, KEF, Cabasse…

Submitted by abz a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: July 13, 2008

Bottom Line:

Hi all,
This is a review of the rogers ls3/5a 15 ohm version speakers. Over the years i have heard many many speakers, likes of Tannoy, Ruark, Dynaudio, Sonus faber, Spendor etc. I partnered the rogers with an old Pioneer sx-1250 receiver (very high current), sony cdp-707 cd player, chord cables and interconnects. What can i say the combination is dynamite. I can really say these are one the most satisfying speakers i have owned. Vocals are truly the best i have heard, it’s the best vocal reproduction i’ve heard, so damn real. The dynamic range of the speakers is not the best but when you hear the phenomenal image these babies throw out, the fluid mid range and detail, you will not care about the lower Bass and the extreme top end. I like to listen to music at a low to mid vol. level and these speakers are always a treat, warm and cosey. The only thing that’s playing on my mind is the rogers ls5/9 and the Yamaha ns-1000 speakers. If anyone has experience with these speakers please email on aj.s2@ntlworld.com, help me decide whether it’s worth bothering with these other two speakers. i have spent thousands looking for a satisfying sound, little did i know i only had to spend a few hundred pounds to enjoy music. These speakers allow you to listen to the music with ease, i found i was constantly analysing the sound of most other speakers and not listening to the music. you dont feel guity either as you know you have only spent a small amount of money, when you spend thousands i guess you are always asking yourself the question, am i getting my monies worth? am i missing something? the biggest question, can i improve? i can now exhale, well for the time being.

Submitted by csacred a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 27, 2008

Bottom Line:
I have owned many speakers over the last 20 years (yamaha NS1000, Kef, cabasse, B&W, Klipsch... to name a few) and the Rogers LS3/5a are the ONLY pair I could never sell. (1978, 15 ohms model).
Many will argue that most recent comparable bookshelf speakers are "tighter", more balanced, better bass, more this more that... true but none can match their unique personality.
When I think about "speakers" in general, I think of speakers on one side and the Rogers LS3/5a on the other one, the LS3/5a are that special to me. I couldn't explain with the audiophile jargon, all I can say is that the LS3/5a have a chemistry I simply find magical, they make music a more intimate profound, enjoyable experience to me. They are great for jazz, small ensembles and excel with vocals and even lounge/electronica (they have an analog thing, hard to describe).
Anyway, although I did not feel the need for a subwoofer when set up in a 10' x 12' bedroom, I did use one when set up in a 12' x 16' room. Some of the affordable set ups I particularly enjoyed were: 1. Beomaster 6500 integrated & Rega jupiter CD player, the result was very good and smooth. 2. VTL integrated it85 with again Rega Jupiter Cd player & empirical crystal interconnect; the result was even smoother like liquid smooth with detailed shimmers, more magical. 3. My greatest surprise perhaps is when I tried them with the newer Linn gear. I tried a linn classik movie and was quite amazed at how transparent the LS3/5a became (almost in a tube-like manner), then I ran the Rega Jupiter CD through the Linn Classik movie and WOW, CDs sounded a lot better, much more punch and precision, still very transparent and still the magic. 4. My last testing was with a linn 5103 and linn chakra 3200 and WOWWW, even better!
Unlike other speakers, no matter the equipment I match them with, sure I have some preference but the LS3/5a always pull it off and never disappoint me.
Yes they are that special and I do HIGHLY recommend them to anyone.

Purchased At:   private party

Submitted by tranjacques a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: May 30, 2007

Bottom Line:
Before buying Rogers ls3/5a, I have my Sonus Faber Gaurneri, Amator II, and BW 800 (matrix), since I have Rogers ls3/5a, I want to sell all my speakers, including Sonus Faber Guarneri, Amator II, and BW 800!!! I am insane? not? I does not return in detail of Rogers ls3/5a, because, there are too many desciptions above, but, I give you several following councils, to return the reason to me why "I am insane" at this point:

1. Do not regret does not have to have the SF Guarnerie, Amator II and BW 800, because, Rogers ls3/5a to make you all forget them, believe me.

2. You need a pair of monoblock of 845 drive with 300B.

3. A CD player not expensive of Philips 723, (remarkably for the tubes ) it is just necessary to change the cables of sector (copper).

4. A cable of speakers manufactured especially by me even for the speakers, (a mixture of silver of Siltech + copper), and the cables of Cinh, preferably, mark Sitech 88.

5. Standard metal cones which support directly the speakers (3 per enclosure), size upwards.

Result: you have all: i.e., hight, medium, and the low one, all the defects do not exist any more, exitant, is not this step???

With you to judge!!!

Purchased At:   8 may 2007

Submitted by althair a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 29, 2006

Bottom Line:
I don't own LS3/5a's. I own a pair of LS2 speakers. I love them, but that should be obvious given the tiny price and the numerous rave reviews of every Rogers speaker I can find. So the problem is, the reviews are never of the LS2. Almost like they never existed. Little on line. Can anyone tell me why this speaker is so mysterious? How does it compare with the LS3/5a?

Purchased At:   tag sale