Revel M12
Description: <ul> <li>Ultra-tight 3% precision tolerance components</li> <li>1/2-inch woofer</li> <li>Neodymium motor system</li> <li>Magnetically shielded</li> </ul>

Submitted by Mark111867 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: November 21, 2008

Bottom Line:
I was on the market for a pair of monitors for $1000 or under. I listened to several in that price range. Some of the speakers included the Paradigm Studio 20, some models by Quad, and a few speakers from B&W. I was close to getting the CM1, but in the long run, the Revels just seemed a better fit for me as well as my amp.
In comparison, the Studio 20's were to bright for me and the CM1's lacked the punch of the Revels. The fit and finish looks good to me, even for vinyl. No complaints. The MDF used is some of the thickest I've seen. Speakers feel very solid. I have them hooked up to an NADC720BEE receiver which I use for mainly music and some TV. Soundstaging is good. The M12's manage to create a detailed wall of sound. When my wife heard these for the first time, she said"It sounds like the orchestra is in the den." I know that the word "neutral" has been thrown around when describing a sound for Revel, but it does seem to fit. They aren't "bright" nor "laid back". For monitors, these speakers handle bass very well. I stopped using a sub. The midrange is clear and realistic. The treble is clean, but a smoother tweeter would be nice. Not that it sounds bad, but if you have ever heard the tweeter in the CM1, you would have an idea of what I'm getting at. These speakers play loudly without any distortion or strain. Most of the music that I listen to is folk or classical and the Revels sound good IMO with most of what I throw at them. I suspect that these speakers would excel at rock as well.

Product model year:   2008