Revel F50a
Description: <ul> <li>High-performance transducers</li> <li>6.5-inch cone woofers</li> <li>Low frequency response</li> <li>Critical middle frequencies</li> <li>1-inch titanium dome tweeter</li> </ul>

Submitted by bjm a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: October 27, 2007

Bottom Line:
I know there are a lot of really wonderful speakers out there, and I don't get out to a audio stores to listen to them However, after many years of music listening, I believe these are the most neutral speakers I've ever used. The Revels aren't "exciting" or "romantic" in their presentation, they don't have a tipped up treble or bass, they just seem to pass the incoming signal with a pristine accuracy. Some may not like them because they will show up system difficiencies in upstream components. Also, they are relatively inefficient, so if you need high volume levels, you'll need an amp with guts. I am using a Pass Labs X150.5 which is rated at 300 watts at 4 ohms (the Revels are nominal 5 ohm loads) which is overkill in my modest room, but the speakers can easily handle huge peaks without missing a beat. That said, even at low volumes the 50as provide clarity, detail, a natural presentation and a well-defined sound stage.
At the risk of inflaming those who don't believe that system wiring makes a difference, I do recommend quality speaker cables and biwiring with these speakers. (I experimented, and chose MIT Shotgun S1 in a biwire configuation.)
I rate these second only to my Linn LP12 turntable as the best audio purchase I've ever made.

Purchased At:   Private

Submitted by SLCity a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: June 26, 2005

Bottom Line:
I sold stereos to work my way through college in the early 70s. Today, it seems that the digital/analog debates rages on, suggesting that the most difficult engineering challenge is to convert an analog signal to digital and back again. I have always thought that the most difficult challenge was converting electrical energy into mechanical energy: speakers.

Recently returning to high-end audio, I purchased a pair of Revel Performa F50 and a C50. This is one amazing set of speakers. Revel obviously spent some R&D money on their more expensive Ultima line, and the Performa line has benefitted. They, however, are brutally accurate. We also own a pair of JM Lab Electra 906 (with a Velodyne SLP-1200) and B&W Matrix 803. I like the Revels and my wife likes the JM Labs. The Revels are less efficient, but IMO more accurate. The longer I live with them the more I like them. They sound good at any volume, which really impresses me. The Revels are so accurate that some may find them a bit sterile. Without question, I would buy them again.

Purchased At:   Audiogon