RAW Acoustics HT3

Submitted by R Burke a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: November 12, 2006

Bottom Line:
I bought these on a whim because my wife was having trouble with the Big Black Things in the living room. I have now sold the BBTs and am very happy with the HT3s. The BBTs were electrostatic hybrids and they cost more than twice the MSRP of the HT3s.

The HT3s are incredible speakers for their size and price point. They provide a very enjoyable listening experience and realistically reproduce the music. They are a truly full spectrum speaker and despite their size provide exclellent bass response that is not at all boomy. I especially like their off axis performance and they have a much larger sweetspot than did the electrostatics.

All in all these speakers are something that I can easily recommend to people who want a full range floor standing speaker with a small footprint.

Purchased At:   used - private party

Submitted by Richard Burke a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: October 26, 2006

Bottom Line:
I bought these on a whim because my wife was complaining about the "Big Black Things" in the living room that were my old speakers. Since owning them I have been very pleased with how they sound and look. The speakers that they replaced were electrostatic hybrids and they were much more expensive than the HT3s. In comparison the HT3s compare nicely in all but one or two areas, and in one they are ahead of the other speakers. I have found the HT3s to be very musical and easy to listen to. They reporduce the musical faithfully and present a nice soundstage. The biggest difference between the two speakers are that the electrostatics "filled" the room and present an almost 3 dimensional soundstage. The HT3s are capable of filling the room, but present a more natural soundstage. At the same time the HT3s provide more discernable detail than the electrostatics. In addition the HT3s have a much wider sweetspot and provide a better off axis listening experience than the hybrids they replaced.

I consider the HT3s an incredible buy, even at full price. My hybrids were more than twice the price.

On a final note Al at RAW Acoustics has been a pleasure to work with and they are a company that listens to and works with their customers, a real treat in today's world.

Purchased At:   private party

Submitted by mcgsxr a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: October 26, 2006

Bottom Line:
Over the past 6+ weeks, I have had the pleasure of retaining 3 sets of speakers from RAW Acoustics, based out of BC, on the West Coast of Canada – I am just outside Toronto, so it was a real treat that Al would ship these out to me, to try on, review, and post what I think.

For the record, Al and I have no formal or informal business arrangements, I do not make any money from his business, nor he from mine – we are both members of an online forum (www.audiocircle.com) and I contacted him to see if I could hear his HT3 speakers – they use a driver that I have experimented with, the WR125S, as well as the Extremis 7 inch woofer, and a proprietary ribbon tweeter.

Al graciously provided me with two other sets of speakers that he builds, in addition to the HT3 – the HT2, and the HT6, to compare and contrast, and post what I thought.

Over that timeframe, I have had 6 people to my house to hear his speakers, and some have posted to my thread around these speakers on Audiocircle in order to lend some other ears to the speakers, during their time at my house.

For those of you ultimately not familiar with my system (you mean you have not spent hours scouring AC for all my posts, etc? eeek!) it is as follows:

Room – unfinished basement of approx 25x35x7.5.
Front end – Bolder fully modded SB3, Bolder Rev1+Jensen caps upgrade PS for SB3
Amps – I use a JVC EX A1, a 3875 gainclone, and fellow AC member MarkC brought his hybrid tube/fet 300wpc monoblocks…
Cabling – Bolder M80 speaker cables, Bolder Nitro 0.5m IC, Bolder M80 IC, and MarkC also brought some Kimber 4TC with him
Power conditioning is a DIY Balanced power unit, search for Felicia on Audiocircles for more information, on the front end. 30A dedicated pony panel off my main electrical box, with dedicated lines out from that for 6 components, if need be.
Atlantis Reference 24 inch stands for HT2 and HT6. HT3 are floorstanding.

Purchased At:   www.rawacoustics.com