PSB Speakers Alpha Family
Description: 1/2" Poly-flare Dome Tweeter with Ferrofluid, 6 1/2" Polypropylene Cone

Submitted by sean a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 23, 2003

Bottom Line:
New Alpha T, Hands down one of the best values in speakers going. Sure there are others that can produce room shaking bass, and still have the airy character I find so appealing in the Alpha T. But the ability to Bi-wire/amplify these beautiful floor standing speakers comes up far ahead of anything in their price range. For such relatively small speakers they are amazingly capable of filling my heavily carpeted and draped 20x30 foot L shaped living room with sound from a moderately powered (85 wpc) Marantz SR7200.

Purchased At:   audio resource

Submitted by Roy S a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: January 9, 2003

Bottom Line:
I bought the PSB alphas as a replacement for a pair of Boston acoustic A60s that were shot. I did not have proper speaker stands and so the sound was initially very unsatisfactory. The bass in most small speakers does not extend beyond 80hz and is usually “improved” with a horrid 250hz hump. This was defiantly my experience with these speakers at first. I was very disappointed as they were rated as a good buy from Stereophile. I did buy 24” stands with carpet spikes and am now quite happy with the sound. I use a Rega Planet 2000 CD player with truth link interconnects and a Cyrus 2 amp and am now quite happy with the sound. Speaker placement and speaker stands are very critical in gaining any satisfaction with small speakers.

Purchased At:   electronics big box

Submitted by WStan a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 25, 2002

Bottom Line:
1.5 Stars.

This review is for the PSB Alpha T, PSB's introductory level floorstanding speaker (I'm including it here until it receives a review spot for itself). The summary: avoid this speaker. It is lacking in most categories if you are interested in a speaker for music. First and foremost, it has what I call a small speaker sound - it sounds like someone placed a small tweeter and woofer in a box, and then placed that inside of a small tin shed - and is characterized by a very small but distinct echo.

It does not reproduce instruments or vocals accurately, particularly male voices, which come across very thin and strained sounding. Pianos and keyboards sound metallic and thin; drums are dull and boomy rather than sharp and crisp.

Imaging is unbelievable: I was shocked when I first listened to this speaker to find that precise placement of instruments on the soundstage is truly nonexistent. In fact, the Alpha T does not even have vague placement of instruments in the soundstage. All music in the left channel comes directly from the left speaker. All music in the right channel comes directly from the right speaker. This was the case with three different CD's.

This speaker is a poor value. I ordered a pair of Aurasound LST627T speakers that are similar in size and specs to these from U-bid ($38 for pair, $92 with shipping) to serve as rear surrounds. The Aurasounds are not great speakers (fairly bright highs, vague midrange) but were better across the board than these PSB's. Paradigm Phantoms were similar to the Alpha T's, but featured better imaging, were slightly more accurate and had a slightly less obvious small speaker echo; the Monitor 7 fixes most of those faults but isn't brilliant in the imaging or accuracy department. Phase Tech Teatro 7 was similar to the Phantoms, but more efficient, with a bigger soundstage. If you have to have a small inexpensive floorstander, the Mirage FRX-5 is a much more accurate and all around pleasing speaker than this PSB, but is very smooth and mellow, and is not very efficient ($300 shipped from tweeter.com)

Note, I listened to two different pairs of Alpha T's at different dealers (both with NAD systems) and the poor results were identical with both pairs.

Purchased At:   N/A - listened at de

Submitted by Agostino Pellerino a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 9, 2001

Bottom Line:
This is my second pair that I have purchased. The first pair that I bought, I traded up for another pair of better speakers. The sound that these little babys put out just made me had to purchase them again. I use them in my second system that I have in my Computer Room. I use a very old
Eico receiver and a Denon CD Changer for my electronics. I also use the Alpha matching subwoofer with them. I can't think of a cheaper way to get into a good sounding speaker. FOR THE MONEY THEY ARE PRETTY TOUGH TO BEAT

Purchased At:   Sound Concept--Rochester,N.Y.

Submitted by Allan a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 11, 2000

Bottom Line:
I bought a pair of Alpha minis as the final piece of my home theater upgrade. I had a cheap surround set from Sony that just didn't cut it anymore with my dvd and digital receiver. My system consists of an Energy center, Infinity Overture 2 mains, Infinity BU-120 sub and the alphas.
I power them all with a Sony digital receiver. I know what you're thinking, Sony receivers are junk. I have had mine for 6 months and love it. Anyways, I placed my white Alphas on the side walls and they make all my dvd's come alive. I am constantly amazed at the sounds I have been missing. Going to the theater now is just not the same.
My setup sounds better!
Check them out, I'm not a full blown audiophile but I know what sounds good to me and what doesn't. As surrounds for the price, I find them hard to beat.