ProAc Tablette 50 Signature

Submitted by Gene a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: September 30, 2001

Bottom Line:
The ProAc Tablette 50 Signatures are one of the best mini-monitors for small rooms. The soundstaging and imaging are superb but what sets the 50 Sig apart from other top monitors are their amazing clarity and ability to layer from front to back. It has full sounding mids and very involving. The bottom end is respectable especially coming from such a small box. What help the bass is having a good speakerstand.

My system consists of:
Speakers rest on AE 1 stands
Jadis DA 30 (integrated amp 30 watts)
Pioneer DV 626D(DVD player used as transport)
CAL Sigma II 96/24 DAC

Blue Circle BC 95 interconnect
JPS Superconductor speaker cable
ESP/Powerwedge/Marigo powercords

Submitted by Dean a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: June 29, 2001

Bottom Line:
I was lucky to acquire a used pair of these on Audiogon a couple months ago.

My system consists of:
Kimber Illuminations D60 digital cable
Cardas Golden Cross interconnect
DH Labs Silver Pulse interconnect
Analysis Plus Oval 9 biwired speaker cable

The difference in soundstaging, imaging and the entire musical experience is staggering in comparison to my year and a half old Sonus Faber Concertinos. The Concertinos have a very nice sonic character, but in comparison it's obvious they lack the detail and precise placement of voices and instruments of the ProAcs. The Tablette 50 Sigs. are a bit brighter than the Sonus Fabers, but in the little system I've assembled this isn't even an issue. The sound is large and very involving.

I find them to be at their best when mated with copper cabling such as Cardas and Analysis Plus. Silver cables such as DH Labs seem to flatten and thin the sound and presentation of the ProAcs. In my current configuration, they sound very full. The Sim Audio amp drives them quite easily, and in my 12 x 16 foot room I never lack dynamics. The only thing it does lack is bottom end. However, I don't think anyone would expect thundering bass from such a tiny speaker. I use an NHT sub with the Tablette 50 Sigs, and even though it isn't state-of-the-art, the two integrate pretty well.

I am enjoying the sounds of Diana Krall, Robby Longley, Jesse Cook, and my other favorites like never before. I have heard people say that ProAcs have spooky imaging, and I totally agree. Sometimes I am fooled into thinking that the performer is in the same room with me. I'd never experienced this prior to owning the ProAcs.

My speakers were already 5 years old when I got them, and I couldn't be happier. If you want a real audio bargain, try to find these used. For me these are definite keepers. And for the first time in my audiophile life, I have no urge to upgrade.

Submitted by sam a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: January 12, 2001

Bottom Line:
These little speakers do what they do amazingly well. Setup properly (this is really important), they will disappear and throw an unbelievable image. I use these with a Cary 300sei and the combo makes beautiful music.
Has a natural, intimate quality. Better than the bigger Proacs in some respects. Not much bass, which I don't mind much. These are destined be one of the classics of hifi.
I actually prefer 50 sigs over the 1sc in some respects.
Tubes recommended.
A really great speaker for vocals and acoustic music.

Submitted by Rg a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 17, 2000

Bottom Line:
I bought these cause they were real small. I wasnt expecting too much from such a tiny box. When I played them for the first time, my jaw dropped. I'd like ta see ya show me a better speaker for the size - I didnt think so. You can forget about putting these on bookshelves or countertops. These babies are big league and need placement and space. If you've got a small room and are on a budget, I cant imagine you could do much better. Tried them with a REL sub, but liked em better by themselves. If you've got the money, go two way floorstander. But if you're on a budget, and would like to shock the fiends & neighbors with slam & detail from almost nowhere, then these are your ticket. I put a pair up for sale recently, the volume of emails nearly choked my server. Needless to say they were sold within the hour. That might tell ya somethin.

Submitted by Greg R. (aka GROG) a an Audiophile

Date Reviewed: July 10, 1999

Bottom Line:
Walked into local high-end joint, told the lad what my budget was, and first he offered up a pair of Tablette-50 (regulars). Mated to a Primare CD Player and running through an Anthem Integrated 2, they sounded okay, but the vocals were very dry-sounding, and had no "depth" to them (esp. male vocals). At around $1200 CDN for the pair, they were a little bit of a disappointment (well, the first ProAc's I heard a few months ago were the Respinse 1 SC...) Then, just for the fun of it, the Studio 100's came out - damn awful: no detail, deep but flabby bass, and sounded as if it was playing through a veil of mud. Nope, not for me. So what's left in my range...? Well, the Tablette 50 Signatures came up, perched themselves on the stands, and started singing.!.!.! Whoa, this is remarkably close to the way the Response 1 SC sound, and for a lot less cash. Vocals were rich and detailed, D.Gilmour's guitar finally sounded like a Fender is supposed to sound like, the bass was tight but not earth-shaking, and overall gave a very listenable 6 minutes (the length of Pink Floyd's "High Hopes", my reference track for the past while). Dang, these things are beautifully detailed, make humans sound like humans (not like boxes) and absolutely refuse to crap out no matter what kind of music is playing through them -- be it Pink Floyd, Korn, Bela Fleck, or Vanessa Mae. Considering the competition in this price range (Hales Rev.1, B&W DM602ser.2, Paradigm Studio/40, PMC TB1S, etc.) these are definately the most detailed, most natural, most involving speakers I've had a chance to check out.
Suggestion: Go to a dealer that will let you trade up within a year (like AudioCentre), so that you can work your way up to the Response 1 SC, then the Response 3.8, and so on... I've ordered mine just a few hours ago, and now all I need is a lot of sand for the stands. Should sound great with my Anthem Integrated 1 / Denon DCD-1290 setup...

Cheers. 5 wicked stars (6 for the Response 3.8's)

Duration Product Used:   an Audiophile