ProAc Studio 125
MSRP  2000.00
Description: 2-way floorstander

Submitted by Campbell a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: September 18, 2013

Bottom Line:
So inspired by these speakers, I had to tell all of you about them and so this is my first ever hifi review

If you see these speakers for sale just bloody buy them! I have not heard anything so amazing since I walked into a hifi store in '89 when a new Quincy Jones CD was blasting through some Shinanighans (I know that's not the correct spelling). I sold my B&W605 speakers as I was not happy with the subtle harshness however impressive they were in other areas. The Studio 125 speakers are a knockout for their minimalist styling alone and mine have beautiful mahogany veneer that compliments our 60's modernist furniture.

I knew I had to sell the B&W's when I went into a hifi shop in Wellington, which I haven't done in years, and auditioned a pair of Totem Sttaf speakers. I listened to Aja by steely Dan and thought what the @#$$?!!! these sound amazing and from only a 5" bass/mid driver, it didn't make any sense to me. Of course I was convinced by the shop it was down to the $20,000 front end.

So I saw a pair of Proac Studio 125 speakers come up for sale and I have always wondered what they sound like since the Tablets were a favourite monitor in a friend's hi-end studio setup.

I got them home and hooked them up to a rather grunty NAD 753 HT amp, yamaha CD player, nothing too silly and the sound literally made my mouth fall open, then I went on to start swearing and punching the air with delight. They have detail that is so moorish to listen to, kind of juicy and the bottom end it rich and super deep, I will never sell these speakers, after years of searching I am finally spending less time on ebay and more time listening to music. I should add that these are all-rounders, they do wonders for older low-fi recordings as well, so not just for the jazz or classical heads, these speakers make everything sound rich, lush and detailed. I don't really understand how they do it.

Submitted by IGBT a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: May 9, 2008

Bottom Line:
the proac 125 are such a unique sounding speakers.
the first thing that amazes you is the fact these british babies are a 2 way !
it can't be ! but they are.
something about the design makes them sound full range.
the first thing that comes, if i had to sum up these speakers is :
soundstage.

a two way that gives you such soundsatge has to be unique.
three important things to do once you get them :
1- give them space (at least 40 cm from the wall)
2- give them a good if not a very good bi-wire cabels
3- if you can, class a amp

if you do that, you'll be happy hearing jazz and classic music they way you never heard before.
i know i do.....

jps bi wire
proac 125

Submitted by rich a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 11, 2007

Bottom Line:
Not going to be long winded about this. These speakers replace a pair of Klipsch Kg4's. Although the 4s are a fine speaker, they were a little to harsh for me. The Proac, as best as I can describe are warm sounding with a great soundstage. They were just what I was looking for. Bass is good, and not boomy. I do have a MX-90 which I may hook up in the future just to hear the difference. Right now the 125 just doesn't need help.

Purchased At:   audiogon

Submitted by otisredding a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: January 28, 2006

Bottom Line:
I purchased my pair of S125s on runout recently and I am extremely happy with my purchase. These replaced a lovely pair of (NZ made) Image 414 floorstanders which, lovely thought they were, failed the A/B demo quite comprehensively in my listening room. The Proacs have such beautiful depth, width and height of soundstage and they also place musicians very prescisely within the mix.

I am driving them with Musical Fidelity A3.2 integrated and this seems to be a perfect match. They have a wee problem with a slight boominess in the upper bass region but this can be easily sorted with careful placement and partnering with good silver or hybrid speaker cables.

The Proac S125s are real giantkillers.

Not a forward speaker that demands attention like so many modern boxes but a silky experience like the best of the 'old skool' British manufacturers.....

I love 'em.

Purchased At:   Sound Expression, We

Submitted by demos100 a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: October 6, 2005

Bottom Line:
I strongly believe that until you reach the price point of 7000-8000 Euros (that means about 9500$) there were some speakers that are standing like Gods between 1500-4000 Euros. One of them is for sure the Proac Studio 125 and now a new model that replaces it the Studio 130. Also Spendor is one of the two-three competitors. But I prefer Proac's for some personal taste.

Proac's Studio are speakers with plenty of air around the instruments, as much as "speaker disappearing" you can get for the money and very transparent to the sources (talking about box speakers not electrostatics). They are superb in delivering detail. Also they can mate with equipment costing four times the cost of the speakers and still enjoyable with full of respect.

Soundstage, detail and well-controlled bass combined with easy to drive and compatibility with the most tube amps out there made them my number one choice up to this price point. If you want to buy something really better i suggest make savings and buy at five times the money the Sonus Faber Cremona but also compare it with Proacs D38.

Tubes or solid-states, they respond dynamically, effortless and stress-free but there will be always in love with over 70 watts of power despite that they can sound dynamically and "right" with 25W.

Purchased At:   local store